Protected species observers monitor the impacts of ESA-listed species, including any potential interactions with or takes of those species. Tide Environmental specializes in providing individuals for marine construction projects when regulations deem there is a potential impact to Endangered or Threatened Species.
Individuals are being sought for the position of Manatee Observer and Protected Species Observer in conjunction with current and future marine construction projects. Applicants must have documented experience observing manatees in the wild. Applicants possessing both manatee, sea turtle and marine mammal qualifications are desirable.
This is an independent contractor position (no benefits or taxes withheld) with immediate availability. Rotations are 3-4 weeks working a 12- hour shift typically aboard a vessel.
Compensation is paid on a daily rate and commiserate with experience.
- Must have documented experience working with manatees, sea turtles and marine mammals.
- HANDS-ON sea turtle experience is mandatory to be considered and approved by NMFS.
- Must have or able to obtain NMFS Protected Species Approval. NMFS Approval must be obtained prior to deployment.
- Possess or be able to obtain a TWIC card for access to job sites.
- Work a 12 hour shift for 21-30 days in a row (including holidays) with no days off.
- Must be in good physical shape and able to stand for hours at a time, climb ladders, lift 50lbs, board vessels at sea, and operate in a safe manner.
- Detailed oriented and possess good communication skills
- Reliable transportation and will be responsible for your own travel to job locations.
- Must be able to travel on short notice
- Maintain objectivity and work independently
- Must be able to work with ship and construction crews.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen, residing within the U.S.
- B.S. in Marine Biology or related field (specialized experience may substitute for educational experience)
Additional Desired Qualifications:
- Ability to identify sea turtle and marine mammals to species level
- Detailed data collection skills
- Necropsy experience is a plus
- Ability to reside and work in remote and/or tight conditions (aboard vessels), including shared housing on shore or bunk rooms on a boat/ship
- Field water quality experience
Individuals meeting the above criteria are asked to submit a resume/CV in .doc or . PDF form detailing your relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org