Polaris looking for a hard-working, motivated, and good-natured scientist who is willing to spend time in the field, office and travel. We have a position available immediately and will remain open until filled. Polaris Applied Sciences is a small environmental consulting firm based in the Seattle area that specializes in environmental scientific support for oil spill response and coral grounding incidents. We are involved in projects throughout the world including oil spill responses, coral grounding assessments and restoration, oil spill planning and training, natural resource damage assessments, and oil spill research. Polaris provides its full-time employees with competitive salaries, medical and dental insurance coverage, 401(k) contributions and profit sharing, paid vacation, sick leave, paid holidays, comp time, conference attendance, and professional learning opportunities.
While detailed knowledge of oil spill and vessel grounding assessment and response methods are not required for this position, a strong science background, willingness to learn new information and skills, and the ability to work well with others is critical.
• Master’s degree or PhD in an environmental science (e.g., geology, biology, ecology, oceanography, forestry, or related environmental field).
• Field experience and ability to work outdoors in all types of weather and terrain.
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
• Strong oral and written communication.
• Ability to effectively manage logistics associated with safely and independently working at remote field sites.
• Ability to be flexible, open minded, and reason logically.
• Ability to exercise discretion and consistently demonstrate professionalism.
• Valid driver’s license and passport.
• Fully vaccinated and boosted against COVID-19.
• SCUBA certification and proficiency, and the ability to assess and collect data while SCUBA diving.
• Knowledge of GIS fundamentals and experience with GIS software (e.g. ArcMap, ArcPro, QGIS).
• Knowledge of data and statistical analyses and experience using software (e.g., R, Python, etc.) to manipulate, analyze, and visualize data from complex datasets and relational databases.