This eight person stewardship crew will implement ecological restoration and other resource management (stewardship) activities in state parks and recreation areas. Much of the work will benefit some of the most significant and threatened natural resources in Michigan. This is an excellent opportunity to gain valuable hands-on experience in natural resources.
- Controls invasive plants within various state parks by hand, mechanically, and chemically.
- Assist in conducting prescribed burns.
- Collects, processes, and assist with planting native seed.
- Assist with and/or leads volunteer work days.
- Assist with the maintenance of stewardship equipment and the Stewardship Field Office.
- Collects data.
- May assist with Forest Health efforts.
Monday-Thursday, 10-hour days. Includes frequent overnight travel and some weekend work.
MCCC Crew members have the opportunity to join AmeriCorps, the domestic program of the Peace Corps. AmeriCorps provides educational grants upon completion of set time requirements. Educational Grant Awards are $5,815 for 1700 hour terms and $2,907.50 for 900 hour terms. The education award may be used for any qualifying form of higher education from vocational training to graduate school, or may be used to repay existing student loans. Other benefits include paid personal annual leave and paid administrative leave for career development and job searches.
- Applicants must be between 18 and 27 years of age.
- Minimum of high school graduate.
- Resident of Michigan with a Michigan driver's license.
- Can't be the son or daughter of an elected official.
- Willing to use herbicides and pesticides.
- Willing to safely use power equipment, including clearing and chain saws. (training provided).
- Good physical condition to conduct long days of strenuous field work, often under adverse conditions in remote areas.
- Must pass a fitness test to participate in prescribed fire.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Experience is not a requirement, but preference is given to those who are working towards a career in natural resources