Job Classification: Seasonal Fulltime (40 hrs./week) March 1 – May 31, 2021
Job Description: SEASONAL MIGRATION COUNT COORDINATOR for spring migration monitoring project at New Jersey Audubon’s Cape May Bird Observatory, Cape May, NJ. Cape May is one of the premier migration hot spots in the country. Along with coordinating the migration project the coordinator will also provide day-off relief and enter data. NJA fosters the application of sound scientific principles and practices to address conservation issues related to vertebrate and invertebrate fauna, and the natural habitats with which they are associated.
• Identify and count all migrating raptors, seabirds, or songbirds on relief days, and fill in for primary counters as time allows for sickness, personal emergency, etc.
• Inventory and maintain all gear necessary for migration counters throughout the season.
• Provide appropriate training for migration counters as necessary both on- and off-site.
• Act as liaison to Trektellen regarding online platform and supervise data uploading.
• Oversee the data entry and proofing of data at conclusion of season.
• Oversee the creation of regular summaries, highlights and notable bird sightings for posting on web
• Work with seasonal counters to create a season summary report for NJ Audubon publications in a timely manner.
• Availability via cell phone for troubleshooting and in person when not otherwise counting.
• Provide at least 1 lecture and/or field workshop at Cape May Spring Festival.
Qualifications, Knowledge, and Skills:
• Familiarity with bird migration and strong background identifying raptors, seabirds and songbirds in flight.
• Careful data collecting skills a must.
• Applicants should have experience interacting with the public.
• Willingness to work irregular hours under sometimes difficult field conditions.
• Punctual with excellent organizational, time and project management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects, shifting priorities and meet deadlines.
• Strong computer skills – Microsoft Office to fulfill the job requirements.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills, and knowledge of environmental and conservation issues required.
• Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills with the ability to relate to and motivate a diverse range of people, exercise cultural competence and inclusion, and accept direction and constructive feedback.
• Motivated self-starter with capacity to work productively in a team setting with the ability to demonstrate initiative and a positive attitude.
• Strong professionalism and work ethic with the ability to exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality.
• Flexibility to adjust hours to meet the special needs of the program and organization.
• Ability to lift 25 lbs. as necessary.
• All applicants must have their own transportation, and a valid, clean driver’s license.
Start Date: March 1, 2021
End Date: May 31, 2021
Salary: $15/hour. Housing may be available.
Application Deadline: January 20,2021 but applications will be reviewed as received.
Qualified individuals may apply by emailing cover letter of interest, resume, and three references as a single PDF document to email@example.com
Please indicate “Count Coordinator” in the subject line the position for which you are applying so that your application is directed to the appropriate department.
We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all qualified professionals to apply. The New Jersey Audubon Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, age, national origin, ethnic background, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.