Overview & Job Duties:
The successful applicant will work in a joint capacity with USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS), Missouri Department of Conservation (MDC), Quail Forever (QF) and other partners to promote, accelerate enrollment, coordinate, and implement the conservation provisions of the Federal Farm Bill and other related wildlife conservation programs. The successful applicant must enjoy working with private landowners and have a strong desire to assist them in reaching their conservation goals. Position will be housed in a USDA Service Center. Activities will include program promotion (workshops and one-on-one meetings), contract coordination, conservation planning, conservation plan modification, site assessment and reporting. The incumbent will provide technical assistance for wildlife habitat enhancement techniques to private landowners and public organizations. He/she will meet with local chapters of Pheasants Forever (PF) and Quail Forever (QF) and other local partners to influence habitat management efforts and participate in regional and statewide habitat meetings. He/she will assist and coordinate activities and projects, including quail focus area development and monitoring, with other QF, MDC and NRCS staff. This position will be an employee of, and supervised by Pheasants Forever, Inc.
Working Lands for Wildlife Position Note:
These positions are part of a collaborative partnership between Pheasants Forever, Inc. and Quail Forever, the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation (NFWF), the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) and other partners to increase technical assistance capacity for advancing the implementation of the Working Lands for Wildlife program (WLFW). The purpose of the WLFW program is to support voluntary conservation projects in priority working landscapes to benefit target species including the bobwhite quail. These positions will be employees of, and supervised by, Pheasants Forever, Inc.
Desired Knowledge. Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with landowners and partner agencies.
• Ability to work independently with little supervision and with diverse clientele.
• Knowledge of wildlife ecology, grassland, wetland, and early succession habitat management including the ability to utilize various habitat management tools in the development of management plans.
• Technical and Practical knowledge of natural community management in grassland and woodland systems.
• Knowledge of conservation and wildlife habitat programs provided by federal (i.e. Farm Bill, US Fish and Wildlife Service), state, & local entities. In addition, knowledge of how these programs are implemented in an agricultural landscape is desired.
• Knowledge of or practical experience with agricultural systems and farming.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Proficiency with ArcGIS and USDA Conservation Desktop.
• Valid driver’s license required; some use of personal vehicle may be required (mileage reimbursement provided).
• Must be able to obtain USDA Federal Security Clearance.
Education and Experience Preferred:
A minimum requirement for this position is a Bachelor of Science Degree in Wildlife Management, Forestry, or closely related natural resources field. Proven experience working with USDA Farm Bill programs (CRP, ACEP, EQIP and CSP) is preferred.
Please combine your cover letter, resume and 3 references into a SINGLE Microsoft Word document or PDF file before uploading the "Resume" section of your application on the Recruitment website at: www.quailforever.org/jobs
Pheasants Forever is considered a federal contactor, therefore, we must ensure all employees, regardless of work location or job duties, are fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Upon employment you will be required to provide proof that you are fully vaccinated, proof of a valid medical exemption or legitimate religious objection.
Contact: Andrew White, Missouri State Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org or 660-619-1719.
Pheasants Forever, Inc is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as a qualified individual with disability, or any other category that may be protected by law.