Ocean Associates, Inc. (OAI) is seeking a Molecular Geneticist to provide support to the NOAA Southwest Fisheries Science Center’s Genetics, Physiology and Aquaculture program (SWFSC-GPA). OAI supplies personnel support services on contract to government and industry clients for marine fisheries and protected species. This position will support the SWFSC-GPA and NOAA’s Office of Aquaculture with science synthesis, communication, and specific genetics expertise in a wide range of science and management issues pertaining to marine aquaculture.
We are seeking a scientist with experience in genomics and bioinformatics to work on several projects related to genomic resource development for marine aquaculture species. This includes:
• Analysis of molecular genomic data and interpretation of the results, including:
- Analyzing genotyping-by-sequencing (GBS) data for genome-wide analysis studies (GWAS)
- de novo genome assembly
- RNA-Seq data analyses
- SNP variant calling
- R-statistical analyses
• Extracting and preparing genomic DNA for next-generation sequencing (NGS).
• Preparing manuscripts for publication in peer-reviewed journals.
• Participating in ongoing projects.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
Selected individual(s) must have the following minimum qualifications:
• A Master’s degree from an accredited college or university with a clearly in a related field of study with emphasis in molecular biology, population genetics, evolutionary biology, forensic science or a clearly related field and a minimum of four (4) years demonstrated field capability and related directly to the individual task order. Three (3) years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. or Ph.D. from an accredited college or university with a major clearly in a related field of study with emphasis in molecular biology population genetics, evolutionary biology, forensic science or a clearly related field may be substituted for two (2) years of the required experience.
Preferred qualifications include:
• Thorough knowledge of US marine aquaculture policy as it pertains to genetics of finfish and invertebrates.
• Expertise in population genetics of marine fish and invertebrates.
• Expertise is developing genetic management protocols for fish and invertebrate aquaculture.
• Expertise in completing genomic analyses and publishing results in scientific journals
• Experience using R-statistical software
• Experience extracting and preparing genomic DNA
• Experience in presenting results in public forums
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills
If you are interested in being considered for this position, please APPLY THROUGH OUR ADP WEB PORTAL, AT: