Job Classification: Seasonal full-time (August 25 – October 31)
Job Description: MONARCH FIELD NATURALISTS (2) needed for ongoing Monarch Monitoring Project at New Jersey Audubon’s Cape May Bird Observatory (CMBO), Cape May, NJ. Cape May is renowned as one of the world's great hot spots for migration. The Monarch Field Naturalists will gain valuable experience in progressing from an active learner to a skilled leader with a clear understanding of the ways in which we are working to monitor and protect New Jersey’s resident and migratory butterflies and wildlife, and the ability to engage a diverse public audience to become stewards of these important resources. NJ Audubon fosters the application of sound scientific principles and practices to address conservation issues related to vertebrate and invertebrate fauna, and the natural habitats with which they are associated.
• Daily road censuses of migrating Monarchs.
• Monarch tagging.
• Data entry.
• Educating the public about the project and Monarch biology.
• Maintain display of Monarch caterpillars and chrysalides.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Skills:
• Familiarity with insect ecology a plus, but not required.
• Careful data collecting and entry skills.
• Willingness to work irregular hours under sometimes difficult field conditions.
• Punctual with excellent organizational, time and project management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects, shifting priorities and meet deadlines.
• Strong computer skills – Microsoft Office to fulfill the job requirements.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills, and knowledge of environmental and conservation issues required.
• Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills with the ability to relate to and motivate a diverse range of people, exercise cultural competence and inclusion, and accept direction and constructive feedback.
• Motivated self-starter with capacity to work productively in a team setting with the ability to demonstrate initiative and a positive attitude.
• Strong professionalism and work ethic with the ability to exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality.
• Ability to lift 25 lbs. as necessary.
• All applicants must have their own vehicle, and a valid, clean driver’s license.
Start Date: August 25, 2021
End Date: October 31, 2021
Salary: $12.50/hour. Housing may be available.
Application Deadline: July 2, 2021
Interested individuals should email their cover letter of interest, resume, and three references as a single PDF document to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please write “Monarch Field Naturalist” in the subject line so that your application is directed to the correct person.
We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all qualified professionals to apply. The New Jersey Audubon Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, age, national origin, ethnic background, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.