MS Assistantship in Urban Avian Ecology and Community Science; San Antonio, TX – Texas
University of Texas at San Antonio
San Antonio, Texas
Two years of funding are available for: travel/research costs, stipend ($1500/month for 9 months per year) and full tuition waiver.
Last Date to Apply
We seek a motivated MS student to conduct interdisciplinary research that aims to strengthen the ability of Hispanic Serving Institutes (HSIs) to attract, retain, and prepare underrepresented students for careers in STEM, Education, and the Humanities. The project aims will be met using an integrated model utilizing urban avian ecology through backyard bird feeding, neighborhood-level community science, and culturally responsive schooling through Indigenous and Mexican American Studies in majority Latinx communities in San Antonio, Texas. The successful applicant will be expected to (1) lead efforts to evaluate the effects of backyard bird feeding on the movements of birds in urban areas as part of a community science approach, (2) assist with the recruitment of community scientists, especially through local schools, and (3) assist in development and implementation of research instruments to evaluate the integrated model. The project is funded through the HSI Education Grants Program hosted by the USDA-NIFA .
To Apply - Submit an application packet as a single PDF including: (1) one-page letter of interest, (2) CV or resume, (3) unofficial undergraduate/graduate transcripts, and (4) contact information for three professional references to Dr. Jennifer Smith (firstname.lastname@example.org). The deadline to apply is 31st December 2020. Applicants from underrepresented groups in STEM are particularly encouraged to apply.
• B.A. or B.S. degree in biology, ecology, environmental science, wildlife biology, or related discipline
• A minimum grade point average of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) in upper-division work
• Demonstrated involvement in mist-netting and banding birds
• Excellent communication skills (verbal and oral)
• Demonstrated research experience (data collection, analysis, writing)
• Proficiency in coordinating community-based teams
• Experience developing qualitative and/or quantitative research tools used in social sciences
• Involvement in public engagement efforts
• Previous experience of fieldwork in urban areas
• Familiarity with Program R and GIS.
• Proficiency in Spanish