The incumbent will serve as a Farm Bill Wildlife Biologist and as a team leader for Montana PF staff by providing both biological/wildlife habitat technical assistance for conservation programs to agricultural producers and landowners, as well as leadership to other FBB’s in Montana. This will be a supervisory position and will directly supervise MT FBB staff located in Montana. The Senior FBB position will be responsible for being the PF team lead and mentoring other staff on delivery for CRP, other Farm Bill Programs, MT FWP upland game bird enhancement program, and other partner conservation programs as well as ensuring metric reporting is completed. This position will be an employee of Pheasants Forever and supervised by the PF State Coordinator.
• Perform all duties of a Farm Bill Wildlife Biologist at an exemplary level, and:
• Directly supervise a staff of 2 or more FBB’s located in nearby locations. Completes annual performance review of direct staff and approves timesheets, time off requests, and expenses.
• Provide mentorship and guidance to MT field staff on the roles and responsibilities of Farm Bill Biologist positions in Montana.
• Promote and encourages team building and a collaborative work culture with all Montana staff, National staff, and Partners.
• Ensures that project reporting by MT staff is occurring and completed in a timely manner and assists the State Coordinator in development of quarterly and annual reports.
• Assists with the identification, development, and mentoring of MT staff with training needs for new and existing farm bill wildlife biologists including the coordination of job shadowing opportunities.
• Assists with content-based outreach creation and delivery on social media, websites, blogs, magazines, and other avenues to increase story telling about the Montana Upland Experience.
• Promotes and encourages FBBs interaction with Pheasants Forever Chapters with guidance from the PF Regional Representative and State Coordinator.
• Coordinates the development and organization of habitat tours, demonstration areas tours, landowner workshops.
• Proposes and seeks innovative ways to further wildlife conservation and partnerships in the state of MT.
• Stays up to date on new scientific publications about pheasant research and other scientific findings relevant to delivering landscape scale conservation. Disseminates findings to colleagues with recommendations on how to incorporate into daily activities.
• Represents Pheasants Forever at habitat-related professional and partnership meetings as assigned.
Desired Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Ability to demonstrate effective leadership and collaboration.
• Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with landowners and partner agencies.
• Ability to work independently with little supervision and with diverse clientele.
• Knowledge of wildlife ecology, grassland, wetland and early succession habitat management including the ability to utilize various habitat management tools in the development of management plans.
• Knowledge of conservation and wildlife habitat programs provided by federal (i.e. Farm Bill, US Fish and Wildlife Service), state, & local entities. In addition, knowledge of how these programs are implemented in an agricultural landscape is desired.
• Knowledge of Farm Bill program policy development and implementation.
• Knowledge of or practical experience with agricultural systems and farming.
• Excellent verbal and written communication.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Proficiency with ArcGIS and/or USDA Conservation Desktop.
• Valid driver’s license required; some use of personal vehicle may be required (mileage reimbursement provided).
• Must be able to obtain USDA Federal Security Clearance.
Education and Experience Preferred:
A minimum requirement for this position is a Bachelor of Science Degree in Wildlife Management or closely related natural resources field. Proven experience working with USDA Farm Bill programs (CRP, CREP, ACEP, EQIP and CSP) is preferred. Proven experience and excellence in duties required by a Pheasants Forever FBB is preferred.
ONLY ON-LINE APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED. Please combine your cover letter, resume, and 3 references into a single Microsoft Word document or PDF file before uploading to the “Resume” section of your application on the Recruitment website at www.pheasantsforever.org/jobs
Hunter VanDonsel, MT/WY State Coordinator, email@example.com or (406) 461-3827
Pheasants Forever, Inc is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as a qualified individual with disability, or any other category that may be protected by law.