Job Title: Natural Areas Restoration Associate Posting Dates: 1/30/18 – Until Filled
Department: Natural Areas
Job Type: Year Round; 40 hours per week; Non-Exempt
Benefits: Comprehensive benefits package following 60-day introductory period
Work Location: Randall’s Island Park, New York, NY 10035
The Natural Areas Restoration Associate will report directly to the Natural Areas Manager and work with other members of the team to develop Randall’s Island Parks’ 20 acres of restored natural areas. The Restoration associate will also assist in the development and overseeing of education, volunteer, and public programming.
• Work under oversight of Natural Areas Manager to develop and implement adaptive strategies for supporting native habitats located within restored sites
• Assist in the design and support of proposals for natural areas development
• Work with other team members to ensure sites are properly maintained including eradicating noxious weeds, litter removal, seasonal maintenance and adaptive management
• Lead and train staff to implement educational programming, public events, and volunteer projects.
• Update and provide data control for department’s monitoring databases
• Assist the Natural Areas Manager in leading, training, and educating staff, students, and community groups
• Provide project reports to the Natural Areas Manager
• Provide GIS services and accurate information for management and reporting
• Develop public outreach and programming materials
• Maintain ongoing communication with the Natural Areas Manager
• Other general tasks as assigned by the Natural Areas Manager
This job description is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all job functions that an employee in this position may be asked to perform from time to time.
• B.A. from an accredited college or university in environmental/natural sciences and two or more years of experience in ecological restoration of native habitats and including experience in field monitoring OR a high school diploma (or equivalent) and equivalent environmental restoration certificate/coursework with six (6) years of experience in natural areas restoration as a landscaper, researcher, environmental educator or related position.
• Experience leading groups and/or work crews.
• Experience with tracking, monitoring, analyzing, consulting and reporting on projects and programs.
• Experience working with and leading educational/volunteer/community groups.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Highly motivated, able to manage and prioritize tasks.
• Detail-oriented, with considerable attention to order and cleanliness.
• Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills.
• Knowledge & ability to operate and maintain small hand-held power tools and other field equipment.
• Experience in database management.
• Knowledge of MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint).
• Willing to work in all types of weather, under strenuous conditions.
• Flexibility to work evenings and weekends.
• Ability to perform heavy physical labor (able to lift 30 pounds) on a daily basis.
• Motivated and punctual, able to work both independently and as part of a team.
• Valid New York State driver’s license.
• A certificate, degree, and/or coursework in ecology, conservation, environmental science or related fields.
• Experience in: GIS, program development, environmental monitoring, and restoration practices.
• Research experience.
• Certified NYS pesticide applicator.
To apply, please complete an application online at:
**Please include a cover letter**