The Morris County Park Commission is seeking 2 interns to work in its Natural Resources Management Unit. Interns will assist staff with ongoing projects in various Morris County Parks including invasive plant management, forest health monitoring, wildlife surveys and volunteer workdays. Interns will receive training in plant and wildlife identification, the use of tools and herbicides to control invasive plants, and the use of a GPS unit. Interns may be asked to assist with other projects as deemed necessary.
This position is fieldwork based. Primary duties will center on invasive plant eradication activities, including the manual and mechanical removal of plants, and the application of herbicides. Other anticipated activities include deer browse monitoring surveys, wildlife surveys, maintenance of deer exclosures, installation of fencing, native planting projects, and working with volunteers to achieve management goals. Interns will be required to use GPS units to monitor environmental conditions and conduct invasive plant inventories. Some administrative work may be required, including data entry, the maintenance of activity logs, research, and assistance with the preparation of reports.
• Completion of or enrollment in Bachelor’s degree program in ecology, natural resources management, environmental science, or a related field.
• Ability to conduct physically strenuous work in rugged terrain and in adverse weather conditions.
• Plant identification skills.
• Basic knowledge of the flora and fauna of northern New Jersey.
• Knowledge of invasive species identification and management is preferred.
• Knowledge of the use of GPS unit is preferred but not necessary.
• Ability to perform all tasks and work activities independently and as part of a team.
• Completion of a Morris County Medical Services physical examination.
• Possession of a valid New Jersey driver’s license.
Work Schedule and Compensation:
The salary for this position is $10.20/hour with a 40-hour workweek. The start and end dates for this position are somewhat flexible but candidate should be available to start work in April and work through September (6 month period maximum). Some weekend and night hours may be required. Housing is not provided.
Please email a letter of interest and resume & application (see www.morrisparks.net ) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Letter of interest should include available start and end dates. Application deadline is February 23, 2018 or until position is filled. Selected applicants must complete a pre-employment physical. Selected applicants will also be required to submit fingerprints for a criminal history check and will be reimbursed for the cost after the completion of a 90-day probationary period.