Alta Science & Engineering, Inc. is currently accepting applications from qualified candidates for a Natural Resources Scientist/Spatial Analyst position with a strong focus on spatial analysis and GIS. The position will be based in one of our Spokane, Washington or Moscow, Kellogg, or Boise, Idaho offices. The successful candidate must be a self-motivated, innovative, and detail-oriented individual who can work well independently and on a team across multiple offices in the region. This position is full time, benefited, 40 hours/week.
Responsibilities May Include:
- Work with other scientists and engineers on all elements of scientific, conservation, restoration, and engineering projects.
- Support the integration of GIS data into natural resource design, management, and monitoring programs.
- Use GIS software to analyze, display, and explain complex ecological/environmental and land use data.
- Design spatial analyses and interpret results for an interdisciplinary group.
- Modify and perform calculations on vector and raster data.
- Create web mapping applications and scripting with GIS.
- Data processing and classification for field collected and remote sensing data.
- Collect a variety of field data and environmental samples.
- Active communication with supervisor and managers regarding project-related matters.
- Maintain a high degree of professionalism during interactions with Alta staff, clients, and other stakeholders.
- BS or MS in ecology, natural resources (wildlife, fisheries, forestry, conservation, etc.), or similar environmental or biological science degree. 4 years of relevant experience or demonstrated equivalency of experience and/or education.
- Proficient with ESRI ArcGIS suite of products and applications (e.g., ArcGIS Desktop, Spatial Analyst, ArcMap, ArcCatalog, ArcToolbox) or similar open-source GIS platforms using GPS.
- Proficiency with MS Excel and Word.
- Must possess good interpersonal skills and effective written and oral communication skills.
- Proven ability to solve problems in creative ways.
- Must be able to work in both a professional office environment, as well as in the field in adverse weather conditions.
- Willing to travel and have a valid driver’s license with insurable driving record.
- Experience with alternative GIS, data processing, and statistical programming software. (e.g., QGIS, GRASS GIS, R, SAS, Fusion, Global Mapper, PIX4D, LAStools, CloudCompare, Quick Terrain, etc.)
- Experience with wetland delineations, migratory bird surveys, stream surveys and characterization, riparian, and upland plant identification.
- Experience designing field studies that rely on GIS information.
HAZWOPER 40-Hour certification and current refresher.
- Ability to pilot a sUAS and obtain FAA Part 107 License.
Submit cover letter, resume and contact information for three references to the applicable position opening via the careers page on our website: www.alta-se.com/careers/
Please go to Alta's careers website, then click on "View Current Job Openings" and apply to the specific position announcement from the list.