Position Summary: Responsible for assisting in developing a successful and functional Natural Resources Program on tribal properties. Work will consist of projects that include operating and maintaining light and heavy equipment, setting and pulling traps, identifying plant and wildlife species, assisting with prescribed burns, working with the environmental program, clearing and maintaining trails, collecting and entering data, and educating tribal citizens regarding the natural resources.
• Provide labor and support for all conservation projects on an as needed basis.
• Maintain work ethic during all tasks assigned.
• Participate in training exercised.
• Work around streams and lakes in a variety of flow regimes and weather conditions.
• Practice safe and proper care maintenance of equipment.
• Ability to maneuver in a Jon Boat, Canoe, or Kayak.
• Ability to use a compound or dissecting microscope to identify macroinvertebrates and insects.
• Ability to identify invasive species or ability to learn invasive species.
• Ability to identify native plants and wildlife or ability to learn how to identify species.
• Ability to operate power equipment such as indoor and outdoor saws and weed clearing equipment.
• Maintain all vehicles and equipment. Identify and troubleshoot any equipment failures.
• Operate heavy machinery and equipment including tractors and tractor implements.
• Assist with application of herbicides in upland and wetland conditions to control invasive species.
• Maintain accurate and concise records of herbicide use to include: amount used, location, concentration, date, time, and weather conditions.
• Assist with planting native trees and seeds utilizing hand and machinery methods.
• Assist with prescribed burns and planting of warm season grasses.
• High School Diploma or GED required.
• Self-motivated able to perform with minimal supervision required.
• Ability to operate and maintain a chainsaw up to 20 hours per week.
• Ability to lift and stack firewood up to 20 hours per week.
• Ability to acquire a pesticide applicator’s license as needed.
• Ability to operate a tractor and high RPM implements.
• Ability to safely load, secure, and transport heavy equipment on truck and trailer.
• Experience and knowledge of Michigan Department of Transportation’s procedures for transporting, securing and loading large machinery on equipment trailers.
• Ability to identify land parcels based on a legal land description.