Natural resources and environmental related job listings. Includes internships, graduate fellowships, faculty positions and scholarships.
Naturalist Educator – Instructor-Texas
McAllen Nature Center
Part Time Vacancies
Last Date to Apply
Under general supervision, the Instructor II is responsible for implementing specific programs as assigned. Employee prepares standard routine reports and records. Job involves decision making which require sound interpretation and mature judgment. Employee provides continuous service to the public frequently involving sensitive matters that demand the utmost tact, courtesy and resourcefulness. Employee has full responsibility for directly, assisting and evaluating job performance of one or more employees. The McAllen Nature Center is a 20 acre nature site, offering wellness and nature activities as well as an opportunity for visitors to self-tour the site.
1. Performs functions at McAllen Nature Center or at various City sites and events
2. Required to work Holidays, weekends and evenings.
3. Required to have program knowledge and experience in nature and wildlife.
4. Staffing the visitor information table, assisting with volunteer groups, teaching of private and public programs and school groups.
5. Keeps and maintains records of program participants such as attendance, accident and/or incident reports.
6. Fulfills assigns duties based on task.
7. Assists in planning and follows lesson plans for assigned program.
8. Accomplishes activities while still keeping it fun for all participants.
9. Keeps work areas neat and clean.
10. Thinks and promotes "safety" at all times.
11. Assists in case of emergency.
12. Keeps a daily inventory of all equipment and supplies and reports any supplies needed for daily operations to immediate supervisor.
13. Organize activities that are supportive of the general recreation plan as presented by immediate supervisor.
14. Performs other job related tasks as assigned.
15. Assists on other projects and job related tasks in the department when requested.
16. Assists in meeting overall program objectives, safety and quality.
17. Communicate effectively with parents and guardians.
MUST APPLY ONLINE at http://www.mcallen.net/departments/hr/job-opportunities
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Minimum Requirements - 1. Job requires a high school diploma or GED equivalent with one (1) year experience in program specific leadership positions such as a Program Instructor I, Program Aide, etc.; or high school diploma/GED with one year of college study/24 college credit hours.
2. Job requires some experience background with working with elementary age children.
3. Must be knowledgeable and capable of properly using program specific equipment, facilities, and teaching aides for teaching assigned programs.
4. Must be able to demonstrate and assess proper skills in assigned program.
5. Must be in good or excellent physical condition, mobile, and agile.
6. Must be alert, active, responsible and mature individual.
7. Must exhibit special leadership qualities and ability to work with superiors as well as subordinates.
8. Must be able to promote good public relations for the city.
9. Must be able to meet the public in a courteous manner, using tact and diplomacy.
10. Must obtain American Red Cross Standard First Aid and CPR certification within the first 6 months of hire.
1. Must be able to work outdoors in hot weather and be able to move about job site.
2. Must be able to lift a minimum of forty pounds.
3. Must be able to physically demonstrate and/or coach program activities offered to participants.
1. This position has no supervisory responsibilities over other employees.
2. This is a safety sensitive position subject to drug and alcohol testing.
This job description summarizes essential job functions and minimum job requirements for entry level work and typical duties illustrative of the type of work customarily assigned and performed in this position. However, this job description does not represent every aspect of the job nor does it guarantee permanent employment, as all positions with the City of McAllen are employment at will positions. Job descriptions are subject to periodic updates and modifications. The City reserves the right to change work assignments and other aspects of a job. The City of McAllen is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, and does not tolerate unlawful discrimination or harassment based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age or any other protected status under applicable federal, state or local laws.