Are you passionate about science education and enjoy our desert habitats? Join us as a Naturalist at the Desert Tortoise Research Natural Area (DTRNA)! The Desert Tortoise Preserve Committee, Inc. is seeking a seasonal Naturalist for the DTRNA from March until early June 2021. Areas of responsibility include:
1. Interpretative services including greeting and interacting with visitors including, but not limited to, scheduled and unscheduled nature walks, presentations, and other educational activities; knowledge of desert ecology or willingness to learn; knowledge of organizations responsible for the DTRNA including the DTPC and the Bureau of Land Management; willingness to educate visitors about desert wildlife and the appropriate behavior and interaction with wildlife at the DTRNA.
2. Data collection and reporting including maintenance of a visitor log, wildlife sightings, and daily activities; assistance in DTPC data collection including but not limited to wildlife and plant ecology, and land monitoring efforts (where applicable); maintenance of sales log from merchandise sales; preparation of a weekly reports to the Preserve Manager summarizing visitors, activities, and other issues encountered; weekly reports to the treasurer outlining merchandise sales.
3. Assistance with DTPC activities and programs including assisting the Preserve Manager or volunteers in guided tours, stewardship activities, and land survey tasks; assistance with other educational tasks as required.
4. Site Maintenance including keeping the office area of the motor home clean and tidy; keeping the parking area and vicinity clean of all incidental trash; daily checking of the toilet and kiosk area for rattlesnakes, black widow and recluse spiders; light trail maintenance where needed.
Location: The Naturalist will be stationed at the DTRNA just outside of California City, CA. California City proper is approximately file miles away from the DTRNA, and is a small town that has several restaurants, a library, and grocery stores.
Compensation and Timeline: The timeline of work is from March to early June 2021. While the start and end dates are flexible, the preferred start date is prior to March 14. This is a full-time 40 hour/week position. The Naturalist is expected to be on site Tuesday through Saturday during operating hours (8 am to 5 pm). Compensation is $19.75/hour.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume, and the contact information of at least two references to the DTPC Board Member, Kathy Simon, at Kathy.Simon@tortoise-tracks.org Please include “Naturalist Position” in the subject line. Review of applications will begin March 1st 2021 and continue until the position is filled.
1. Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate with a diversity of interest groups, public and private agencies, and members of the general public
2. Demonstrated professional and/or educational commitment to environmental conservation, public outreach, and/or scientific research
3. Ability to live on-site in the DTPC’s motor home at the Desert Tortoise Research and Natural Area, Kern County, California during the term of employment
4. Ability to maintain accurate and complete records and incorporate information into Microsoft Excel Spreadsheets, Microsoft Access database, and Microsoft Word
5. Basic understanding and ability to administer first-aid
6. Possessing and maintaining a valid state driver’s license.
7. Exceptional recommendations from professional, educational, and personal references
8. Having and maintaining eligibility to work in the United States pursuant to federal law, along with submission of employment eligibility documentation.