Little St. Simons Island (LSSI) is a privately-owned barrier island in coastal Georgia accessible by boat only. Its Lodge is a destination for as many as 32 overnight guests with extraordinary opportunities for bird watching, wildlife viewing, fishing, hiking, and kayaking. The island is a member of the Western Hemisphere Shorebird Reserve Network and is recognized internationally as an Important Bird Area. Naturalists provide exceptional experiences for Lodge guests in Natural History education through a variety of guided activities (hiking, biking, kayaking, birding, fishing, herping).
Basic Job Responsibilities:
• Primary focus is Natural history education programs in: bird watching, reptiles, coastal plant communities, marine invertebrates, fishing, and conservation.
• Cleaning and maintenance of equipment: vehicles, kayaks, motorized skiffs, fishing equipment, bicycles (bike mechanic knowledge a plus), optical equipment et cet.
• Trail and road maintenance.
• Assist with maintenance and cultivation of ½ acre Organic Garden.
• Give and receive positive feedback.
Application Deadline/Contact: Deadline is July 6, 2018. Please email resume, letter of interest including three references to: Stacia Hendricks: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Start date: August 27, 2018
• Outgoing personality: strong communication and leadership skills. Abundant enthusiasm.
• B.S. degree in Biology or related field.
• Driver’s license.
• Some working knowledge of: bird and reptile identification, saltwater fishing (spin, fly), kayaking skills, plant communities of the coastal plain habitat.
• Computer literate in Excel, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint.
• The position requires that the successful applicant live on the island. Due to our unique situation and limited accommodations we are unable to accommodate spouses/ children. No pets are permitted on the island.
• CPR, first aid certified.