Coastal Expeditions is now hiring for the 2021 season! We are looking for energetic, nature-loving spirits to fill Naturalist Guide positions. Coastal Expeditions is an environmental education and recreation hub based in Charleston, SC. As a guide here you will receive extensive training in safety and outdoor skills, gain an in depth knowledge of the most breathtaking landscapes in the SC Lowcountry, and hone your skills as an educator. Additionally, Coastal Expeditions offers a fun, laid-back work environment with unlimited access to kayaks and stand-up paddleboards, and ample opportunity to turn a seasonal position into a long term career (including work with our non-profit, The Coastal Expeditions Foundation).
All new guides will work Shop Help Shifts while training to become a Junior and then Senior Guide. Over time the majority of shifts will change from Shop shifts to Guide shifts.
Shop Duties include:
- Rentals: paddle instruction for renters, carrying the boat to launch and back, creating a float plan, launching/landing, cleaning boats
- Assisting guides with tours: carrying boats, cleaning boats and gear, helping clients
- Answering phones and making reservations
- Assist managers with various projects as needed: maintenance, boat work, data entry, stocking, cleaning, etc.
Guide Duties include:
- Guiding kayak and paddleboard tours
(2 hour & 3 hour on-site tours and 6 hour wilderness tours)
- Leading hiking and kayaking field trips
- Guiding multi-day camping expeditions
- First mate and private hiking guide shifts as needed
The ideal candidate for this position is available for full-time work from February 15th - November 30th. End date can be slightly flexible, and often part time work is available thru the winter for guides returning the following season. Weekend work required.
Starting pay for guides is $11.50-$12.50/hour plus tips, commensurate with experience. After the first full season of employment, employees are eligible for an IRA matching program and health insurance benefits. Other benefits include CPR, First Aid, AED and lifeguard training, kayak instructor training, interpretive and educational training, and use of kayaks and SUPs.
TO APPLY: Please email a resume and one to two paragraph cover letter to email@example.com
- A positive, friendly, and enthusiastic attitude
- An interest in our local natural and human history
- A desire to constantly learn and grow
- Demonstrated customer service skills
- Ability to work full days performing hard physical labor in the heat of Charleston summer with a smile on your face
- Heavy lifting required
- A team player
- A Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- Some educational or guiding experience