Come join our team of fun, hard-working, life-long learners at one of our premiere Charleston, South Carolina locations!
Since 1992, Coastal Expeditions has been putting people safely and securely in the path
of beauty. As guides and storytellers, we delight in sharing all that we know about the
Lowcountry – land and water; plants and animals; and history and culture–with
everyone we meet.
We are looking for an energetic, nature-loving spirit to join our committed team as a
Guide-in-Training / Shop Assistant at our headquarters location on Shem Creek in
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina.
This employee will receive extensive training in safety and outdoor skills, gain an
in-depth knowledge of the most breathtaking landscapes in the Lowcountry, and hone
skills as an educator.
Coastal Expeditions offers a unique and fun work environment with amazing views of
Shem Creek. Employees enjoy unlimited access to kayaks and stand-up paddleboards!
All guides-in-training will initially work mostly office and shop shifts. Over time, shifts
will include more training and junior guide shifts. Shop shifts require intense manual
labor in the heat of the South Carolina summer—lifting and moving kayaks and
equipment, cleaning equipment, and helping customers into and off the water. Office
shifts will require administrative and clerical work, as well as reception responsibilities.
● Assisting with rentals: paddle instruction, carrying boats to launch and back,
launching/landing, and cleaning boats
● Helping other guides with tours: carrying boats, cleaning boats and gear, and
● Answering phones, responding to text messages, and making reservations
● Assisting managers with projects, including maintenance, boat work, data entry,
stocking, cleaning, etc.
● Checking clients in and out and processing payment
● Assisting with scheduling and booking
● Guiding kayak and paddleboard tours (2 & 3-hour on-site tours and 6-hour
● Assisting with hiking and kayaking field trips
● Assisting senior guides on multi-day camping expeditions (as needed)
This position is available beginning February 2022. The work is seasonal, with peak
times occurring in the fall, spring, and summer. Part-time work is available through
the winter for employees returning the following season. Weekend work is often
Starting pay for this position is $11.50-$12.50/hour plus tips, commensurate with
experience. After the first full season of employment, employees are eligible for an IRA
matching program and health insurance benefits. Other benefits include CPR, First
Aid, AED and lifeguard training, kayak instructor training, interpretive and educational
training, and use of kayaks and SUPs.
● A positive, friendly, and enthusiastic attitude
● An interest in local, natural, and human history
● A desire to constantly learn and grow
● Customer service and communication skills
● Ability to work full days performing hard physical labor in the heat of
● A team player mindset
● A Bachelor’s degree in a related field
● Education or guiding experience