NJ Audubon Plainsboro Preserve is looking for an enthusiastic educator to work in our summer nature camp program. The Summer Nature Camp Teacher Naturalist is the lead teacher for groups of children exploring the outdoors. They will work with the Plainsboro Preserve staff to develop and conduct environmental education programs as well as oversee group dynamics and safety.
• Develop and conduct programs with crafts, activities and games that have a strong focus on awareness and respect for the natural world.
• Participate in the daily setup and breakdown of all program aspects including all cleaning procedures related to COVID-19 health and safety protocols.
• Organize and supervise children including to facilitate group management and safety.
• Maintain lesson plans, educational materials, and all other related programming information as required.
• Oversee and actively engage youth counselors and/or counselors in training.
• Help in the care, feeding, and wellbeing of live animals that are presented for educational purposes.
• Participate with Center staff and volunteers to adopt a “team” approach towards daily operations at the Center.
• Obtain and maintain certification for First Aid, CPR, and other public safety certification appropriate for the activities at the site.
• Assume additional responsibilities as requested by supervisor and NJA senior staff.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
• B.A. or B.S. in the sciences or education, preferred.
• Two to three years’ experience working with children in formal/non-formal settings.
• Excellent Computer Skills - Microsoft Office
• Excellent written and oral communication skills, and knowledge of NJ Audubon and the natural world helpful.
• Excellent organizational, time and project management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects, shifting priorities and meet deadlines.
• Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills with the ability to relate to and motivate a diverse range of people, exercise cultural competence and inclusion, and accept direction and constructive feedback.
• Motivated self-starter able to work independently in the execution of his or her responsibilities while collaborating with other staff and organizations with the ability to demonstrate initiative and a positive attitude.
• Strong professionalism and work ethic with the ability to exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality.
• Must have a valid driver’s license and be able to operate a motor vehicle in NJ.
• Ability to walk on uneven surfaces as needed for outdoors events and lift up to 50 lbs.
Starting Date: June 21 – August 27, 2021, with one mid-summer week off
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Application Deadline: Position will be posted until filled.
Qualified individuals may apply by sending cover letter of interest, resume, and three references as a single PDF document (including email and phone contact info) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate in the subject line the position for which you are applying.
We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all qualified professionals to apply. The New Jersey Audubon Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, age, national origin, ethnic background, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.