Job Classification: Seasonal/parttime (approx. 24 hours/wk) June 24 - Sept. 4 (Thurs-Sat)
Job Description: The Nature Center Assistant supports center operations and visitor services as well as the retail operations/sales at the NJ Audubon’s (NJA) Lorrimer Sanctuary. This position reports directly to the Sanctuary Director and provides some administrative support for the Center.
• Welcome visitors, ensure customer service and satisfaction.
• Conduct daily opening and closing procedures for the nature center and store.
• Help with administrative responsibilities related to the center’s operations including answering telephones and disseminating information, promoting NJA mission and answering questions about local natural areas, and natural history.
• Manage supply and restock of literature for center (membership brochures, checklists, information packs, etc.,) to ensure ample supply available.
• Assist with general light maintenance of center facilities, store and grounds, including breaking down of cardboard, taking out trash and recycling, filling bird feeders, cleaning up, etc.
• Assist with care and maintenance of animals as needed in coordination with the Center staff and volunteers.
Nature Store Retail Responsibilities
• Assist customers with merchandise selection and process sales; encourage membership enrollment with each sale.
• Maintain accurate sales records; prepare weekly reconciliations and make bank deposits.
• Maintain inventory database and perform bi-annual store inventory.
• Perform ordering, processing, and display of merchandise.
• Assist with sales during special events.
• Assist and guide the work of nature store volunteers.
• Participate with Center staff and volunteers to adopt a “team” approach towards daily operations at the Center.
• Assume additional responsibilities as required.
• Maintain certification for First Aid, CPR, and other public safety certification appropriate for the activities at the site, preferred.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
• Must be at least 21 years of age.
• High school diploma required;.
• Excellent computer skills - Microsoft Office; retail Point of Sale and Online Program Registration software preferred.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills, and knowledge of NJ Audubon and the natural world helpful.
• Excellent organizational, time and project management skills, including recordkeeping, with the ability to manage multiple projects, shifting priorities and meet deadlines.
• Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills with the ability to relate to and motivate a diverse range of people, exercise cultural competence and inclusion, and accept direction and constructive feedback.
• Motivated self-starter able to work independently in the execution of their responsibilities while collaborating with other staff and organizations with the ability to demonstrate initiative and a positive attitude.
• Strong professionalism and work ethic with the ability to exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality.
• Must be available Thursday through Saturday and be flexible to adjust hours during the week to meet deadlines and needs of the organization, including availability to work occasional evenings.
• Must have own transportation and a valid driver’s license in NJ.
• Ability to walk on uneven surfaces as needed for outdoors events and lift up to 50 lbs.
Starting Date: Immediate
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Application Deadline: Position will be posted until filled
Qualified individuals may apply by sending cover letter of interest, resume, and three references as a single PDF document (including email and phone contact info) to email@example.com
Please indicate "Nature Center Assistant" in the subject line so that your application is directed to the appropriate person for review.
We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all qualified professionals to apply. The New Jersey Audubon Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, age, national origin, ethnic background, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.