Title: Network & Computer System Coordinator (19-1164)
Location: Portland, OR (97202)
Anticipated Start Date: October 7, 2019
Position Type: Full Year, Full Time, Hourly/Non-Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes | www.psmfc.org/benefits
Salary Target: $16.00-$22.00/hour, DOE
Job Number: 19-1164
How to Apply: Online at www.psmfc.org/careers
Closing Date: September 15, 2019 at midnight
Assesses and troubleshoots computer support problems and applies understanding of computer software and hardware products and services to resolve problems of users. Maintains an organization's information technology systems and networks, and provides training and technical and administrative support.
This position provides both client and server support. In this position, you would provide prompt resolutions, or escalation, of application, hardware and/or system issues, which includes determining the root cause, solution implementation, and documentation. Requires the ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing, with all levels of internal and external professionals, especially professionals with non-technical understanding, while troubleshooting, repairing, installing, patching, testing, etc.
• Installs, changes, and repairs minor problems of personal computer hardware and software systems.
• Answers client's inquiries concerning systems operation and provides technical assistance and training to system users.
• Diagnoses system hardware, software, and operator problems.
• Recommends or performs remedial actions to correct problems based on knowledge of system operation.
• Requires excellent working knowledge of personal computers and peripherals.
• Independently evaluate inquiries to provide the most useful and appropriate information.
• Perform routine network startup and shutdown procedures and maintain control records.
• Confer with network users about how to solve existing system problems.
Knowledge Required by the Position:
At mid-range, position resolves problems associated with networks, software, and hardware for systems. Also edits and tests programs and network settings to diagnose issues and resolve them. The employee must identify and understand the issues involved, determine what steps and procedures are necessary, and decide on the order of their performance. Completion of each transaction often involves selecting a course of action from a number of possibilities and uncertain outcomes.
At the upper end of the position range, employee processes a wide variety of transactions within a complicated framework of procedures and practices. Extensive and differing sets of established rules and guidelines must be mastered.
Willingness to learn and grow in the position, be able to demonstrate greater next level network technologies, and an understanding of subnetting and site-to-site VPN. Experience with VMware technologies preferred. A successful candidate should be able to demonstrate competency for the following:
• Windows desktop, and laptops as well as Windows Server 2012, 2016, 2019 and Active Directory 2008R2 or higher.
• MS Office technologies, Word, Excel, Outlook, and Visio.
• Install, configure and upgrade PC software and operating systems.
• Identify and suggest possible improvements on procedures.
• MS Server technologies, Sharepoint, Exchange, SQL, etc.).
• Understanding of Virtualization Technologies (VMWare 6.x or higher. EqualLogic, Compellent or similar SAN technologies).
• Understanding of Client Server, Site-To-Site VPN technologies, and network subnetting.
• Networking Solutions including Dell, Ubiquiti, and Sonicwall.
• Creates process and procedures and performs Q&A on existing systems.
• Basic understanding of Linux based Operating Systems
Additional Mandatory skills:
• Word processing
• Oral communications skills
• Written communications skills
• Other: Personal communication skills
The work can be largely sedentary with intermittent needs for physicality. Some of the physical and environmental demands for Network and Computer Systems technicians could include the following:
• Hold the arm and hand in one position or hold the hand steady while moving the arm.
• See differences between colors, shades, and brightness.
• Use one or two hands to grasp, move, or assemble objects.
• Make quick, precise adjustments to machine controls.
• Use muscles to lift, push, pull, or carry heavy objects.
• Use stomach and lower back muscles to support the body for long periods without getting tired.
• Bend, stretch, twist, or reach out.
• Coordinate movement of several parts of the body, such as arms and legs, while the body is moving.
• Be physically active for long periods.
• Focus on one source of sound and ignore others.
• Move two or more limbs together (for example, two arms, two legs, or one leg and one arm) while remaining in place.
• Make fast, repeated movements of fingers, hands, and wrists.
The work area is adequately lighted, heated, and ventilated. The work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions.
Pacific States Marine Fisheries Commission is an Affirmative Action (AA) and Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, genetic data, or other legally protected status.
If you have a disability and need assistance completing the application form, you may call the PSMFC human resources office at (503) 595-3100 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. PST, Monday-Friday. Reasonable accommodations for interviews will be provided upon request to individuals with disabilities.
We maintain a drug-free workplace.
Minimum Qualification Requirements:
A range of experience and education may be presented. At the lower end of the range, candidates must present with a high school diploma or equivalent and at least two (2) years relevant work experience.
At mid-range, candidates must present a high school diploma or equivalent and four (4) to six (6) years relevant work experience. An equivalent combination of experience and education is also qualifying.
Further, the employee should be able to perform the following physical requirements of the position (with reasonable accommodation):
• Speak clearly so listeners can understand.
• Understand the speech of another person.
• See details of objects that are less than a few feet away.
• Use fingers to grasp, move, or assemble very small objects.