The Service Experience:
Spend a season or more working and camping outside at some of Nevada’s premier natural areas. Serve alongside volunteers from across the country while making a lasting contribution to Nevada’s natural resources and heritage. Gain valuable field experience while working on habitat improvement, restoration, and recreation projects with the U.S. Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, National Park Service, and many other federal and state agencies. Learn firsthand from federal employees and specialists about natural resources and conservation careers. Projects during the spring field season will focus on arid land restoration and may include invasive plant removal, riparian restoration, and native species planting.
This is an AmeriCorps position.
• Camping up to seven nights in wilderness setting without formal restroom facilities or running water;
• Maintaining a positive and professional attitude at all times while providing service;
• Communicating effectively with crew members, crew leaders, NCC staff and agency project staff;
• Complying with both production and quality work standards established by NCC
administration, crew supervisors and project partners;
• Contributing to basic duties at the campsite including cooking, cleaning and organizing crew equipment;
• Showing respect when interacting with other members, leaders, staff, project sponsors and community members;
• Participating in in-field education sessions;
• Percentage of time spent on: labor– 70%, traveling– 20%, hiking– 10%;
• Lifting 25lbs continuously and 50lbs occasionally.
•Living allowance: $4,400 ( approx. $700 paid biweekly before taxes)
•Per diem: $7.25/ day in the field
This is an 450 hour AmeriCorps position that will serve three months from
2/19/18 - 5/17/18
We are continuously hiring and can be flexible with start dates so please feel free to apply if these dates do not work for you.
•AmeriCorps Segal Education Award $1,538.36
• Health insurance (Medical, Dental, Vision) at no cost to you
•Interest Accrual Repayments
•Supplemental Nutrition Assistant Program Eligibility
•Educational Affiliation Agreements (College Credit)
Skills & Education:
•You will be certified in First Aid and CPR.
•You will be certified in Leave No Trace.
If your assigned project requires you may receive:
• USFS S212 Faller A Chainsaw Training
• Trail Construction and Maintenance Training
Optional Training & Education we will provide include:
• Defensive Driving Certification
• Off-Road Driving Class
• Resume Building Workshop
• Interview Skills Workshop
• Native Plant Identification
• Invasive Plant Identification
• GPS Unit Training
• Introduction to Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
•Must maintain a positive and professional attitude at all times while providing service.
•Be able to communicate effectively with members, crew leaders, NCC staff, and project partners.
•Possess the willingness and ability to work and camp up to seven nights in a row, in a wilderness setting, in all weather conditions, without formal restroom facilities or running water.
•Be able to lift 25lbs continuously and 50lbs occasionally
•Be at least 17 years of age
•Be a US citizen
•Must possess a high school diploma or GED
•Must be eligible to receive an AmeriCorps Education Award (limit of four in a lifetime or the equivalent of two full-time education awards).*
•All position offers are conditional upon completion of an acceptable check of the National Sex Offender Public Registry and federal criminal background check.