The primary focus will be assisting with the collection of biological data through deer and waterfowl check station activities and assisting with waterfowl hunter lottery hunt draws. As time permits may assist with the development and maintenance of wildlife habitat on Wildlife areas. May assist as needed with other management unit responsibilities, including wildlife surveys, nuisance animal control, and general office duties.
Individual tasks related to the duty.
• Assist at deer check stations with removing heads from deer, labeling biological specimens, aging deer, and bagging and storing of deer carcasses.
• Record pertinent data collected at deer check stations on specimen labels as well as on a PDAs
• Assist at managed waterfowl hunt areas/check stations through administering lottery hunt drawings and collecting and entering harvest data
• Monitor waterfowl numbers through refuge counts at Wildlife areas.
• Respond to nuisance animal complaints.
• Delivery of wildlife specimens to the wildlife health lab for testing.
• Control water levels on wetlands by manipulating control structures and utilizing pumps.
• Interact with hunters and provide general information to the public.
• Performs other related work appropriate to the classification as assigned.
Valid Driver’s license
Knowledge of general farming and crop raising methods; including soil conservation practices.
Knowledge of wildlife and wildlife habitat management.
Knowledge of the operation of motorized equipment, such as tractors, trucks bulldozers, and front-end loaders.
Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions required in the line of the work.
Ability to conduct wildlife surveys.
Ability to operate and maintain mechanical equipment, construction tools, and general shop tools.
Ability to maintain favorable public relations.
Ability to communicate effectively with others.
Ability to work in adverse weather conditions.
Ability to perform job assignments in a timely manner and keep appropriate records.
Ability to trap animals or operate specialized equipment, as needed.
APPLY ONLINE AT: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/michigan