Saltwater Inc. is currently hiring Fisheries Observers for the Alaska Groundfish Program.
Alaska groundfish observers gather data onboard commercial fishing boats working out of ports along the Gulf of Alaska and the Bering Sea. Most of the assignments are based out of Dutch Harbor, Kodiak, King Cove, or Akutan, Alaska.
• Provide independent catch estimates
• Sample species composition
• Provide fish ID and measurements
• Collect biological samples
• Monitor marine mammal and bird interactions
• Document fishing activity (set times, positions, gear performance, etc.)
• Record and report all data to NMFS
• Comply with all regulatory requirements
• Carry out assigned special projects
• Previous experience as a marine mammal or fisheries observer.
• Previous experience in scientific data collection, and data entry beyond college.
• Previous ocean experience aboard boats.
• Valid and current passport.
Further information on these positions can be found on our website http://www.saltwaterinc.com. If interested please visit our website, click “How do I Apply”, to be directed to our online application. Link to application :
NORTH PACIFIC GROUNDFISH OBSERVER PROGRAM (NPGOP) EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
1. A bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited college or university with a major in one of the natural sciences.
2. Successfully completed a minimum of 30 semester hours or equivalent in applicable biological sciences with extensive use of dichotomous keys in at least one course.
3. Successfully completed at least one undergraduate course each in math and statistics.