The Utah Department of Natural Resources, Division of Wildlife Resources (UDWR), has seasonal positions (no benefits) available at Northeast Regional Office in Vernal, UT. This appointment will last from approximately April 5 to October 31, 2021, with possibility of extension.
The successful candidate will work with threatened and endangered aquatic species (fishes, amphibians and mollusks) within the UDWR’s Native Aquatics Program.
1) Invasive fish removal on the Green River via boat/raft electrofishing and fyke netting.
2) Monitoring threatened and endangered native fishes using barge and raft electrofishing, seining, trammel netting, light trap surveys, and PIT-technology.
3) Visual encounter surveys for presence of sensitive amphibians and mollusks.
4) Safely trailering, launching and operating jon boats and rafts.
5) Data collection and entry.
6) Maintenance of equipment and sampling gear.
7) Potential opportunities to assist UDWR sections with other fish and wildlife projects as available (rotenone treatments, gill net surveys, wildlife surveys).
Applicant must be 18 years of age or older and have a valid driver’s license at time of employment. Applicant should have the ability to work independently and well with others, and follow written and verbal instructions.
Preference may be given to applicants with an interest in or knowledge of aquatic species recovery; as well as, experience with four wheel drive vehicles, towing and operating watercraft and identifying sensitive aquatic species of northeast Utah.
This position requires the ability and willingness to drive long distances, perform strenuous physical activity, work long hours (8-12) outdoors in harsh conditions (inclement weather and bugs) while maintaining a safe and positive work environment. Overnight camping, as well as occasional weekend work and backpacking in remote areas will also be required.
Interested applicants may apply by submitting a seasonal application (https://naturalresources.utah.gov/wp-content/uploads/DNR-Seasonal-Job-Application-12-13-16.pdf), brief cover letter and a resume/CV to:
Native Aquatics Biologist
Utah Division of Wildlife Resources
318 N. Vernal Ave.
Vernal, UT 84078
For more information, contact Jordon Detlor at the information provided above.