Turnstone is currently seeking one surveyor for spotted owl projects in and around Medford, Oregon. This position will start in late-March or early-April depending on environmental conditions. Survey locations are distributed throughout southern Oregon and may require significant travel. This is a full-time, temporary-seasonal position. Duties include:
- Conduct Northern Spotted Owl surveys
- Significant job related travel
- Night time travel on forest roads
- Record clear, concise, and accurate field data
- Communicate clearly with crew leader, project manager, and landowners
- Surveys will be on federal, state and private forested lands in southern Oregon.
Housing may be available; a field vehicle will be provided unless the employee chooses to use a personal vehicle for reimbursement.
Applicants should have a B.S. degree in wildlife biology or related field and a minimum of 1 year field survey experience. Spotted owl experience is strongly preferred, but may not be required if applicant has avian field experience. The successful applicant will possess the following characteristics:
- Strong data collection skills
- Flexible, detail-oriented, resourceful, and comfortable working independently or as part of a team
- Integrity, quality and accuracy in adhering to scientific protocols
- Consistent record of working in a safe and efficient manner
- Good physical fitness and the ability to hike off trail if required
- Excellent field skills: orienteering, GPS, map reading skills, hiking in backcountry terrain in the dark and/or inclement weather
- Ability to operate 4WD vehicles and navigate forest roads
- Good vision and hearing
To apply, please complete an online application through the employment section of our website. EMAILED APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. This position will remain open until filled, but application review and hiring is underway.