Turnstone is a small, locally-owned environmental consulting firm. We help our clients protect and manage shared natural resources with solutions that are practical, forward thinking, and built on a foundation of good science. We are passionate, motivated, and team-oriented professionals who all started as seasonal field technicians ourselves and now strive to be leaders in the wildlife field. Turnstone is currently seeking to fill multiple northern spotted owl surveyor positions throughout Oregon. We are also looking for several crew leaders to help manage small crews throughout the state. These are full-time, temporary-seasonal positions. Crew lead/Surveyor duties include:
• Conduct broadcast surveys for northern spotted owls; identify, record, and map locations of spotted owls and other owl and raptor species include barred owls, great horned owls, northern pygmy owls, and northern goshawks
• Conduct daytime surveys after spotted owl detections in order to locate nests and determine nesting status
• Significant job related travel
• Night time travel on forest roads
• Record clear, concise, and accurate field data
• Communicate clearly with crew leader, project manager, and landowners
Surveys will be on federal, state and private forested lands. Exact locations are yet to be determined, but will be throughout western and southern Oregon. Employment dates are approximate, and are project-dependent. Housing may be provided depending on work location; a field vehicle will be provided unless the employee chooses to use a personal vehicle for mileage reimbursement. Salary range is roughly equivalent to $14-25/hour. Salary will be based on position, location, and experience.
Most positions will start in mjd-March or early-April depending on environmental conditions and specific location. A small selection of candidates may have an opportunity to begin early March. Survey locations are distributed throughout Oregon and some positions will require significant travel. Please indicate your willingness to travel, and any limits or strong preference for general location in your cover letter. There may also be opportunities to work on a variety of other interesting and collaborative field projects related to special-status wildlife species for the right candidate.
If you are interested in consideration as a spotted owl crew leader, please indicate your interest in your cover letter and clearly identify your relevant leadership experience and skills in your application materials.
More details will be added to the announcement as they are finalized. Announcement will remain open until positions are filled. We expect to conduct the majority of interviews in February, though application review and hiring are already in progress so don't wait!
A minimum of one year of field survey experience is required. Spotted owl experience is strongly preferred, but may not be required if applicant has applicable field experience. A B.S. degree in wildlife biology or related field is preferred for spotted owl surveyors, and required for crew leads. The successful applicant will possess the following characteristics:
• Strong data collection skills
• Flexible, detail-oriented, resourceful, and comfortable working independently or as part of a team of peers
• Integrity, quality and accuracy in adhering to scientific protocols
• Consistent record of working in a safe and efficient manner
• Good physical fitness and the ability to hike off trail when required
• Excellent field skills: orienteering, GPS, map reading skills, hiking in backcountry terrain in the dark and/or inclement weather
• Ability to operate 4WD vehicles and navigate forest roads
• Good vision and hearing
• Comfortable using electronic (PDF) data forms and Adobe Reader
• A solid sense of humor and joy of working in an outdoor setting
Successful candidates will gain outstanding experience in field ornithology, endangered species surveys, and advanced field skills, and get a chance to see what a lifelong career in environmental consulting could look like, all while working closely with a diverse team of other motivated folks in the beautiful Pacific Northwest!
To apply, please complete an application through the Job Link below. EMAILED APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. These positions will remain open until filled, but application review and hiring is underway