Wildlife Innovations (WI) is a biological consulting firm that provides a variety of services, ranging from environmental compliance to wildlife management, to a diverse set of clients. We excel in the development of innovative new strategies and implementation of new technologies, to promote the success of the projects that we are a part of and seek to develop new, mutually beneficial collaborative relationships with individuals and entities with shared philosophies, endeavors, and goals.
Wildlife Innovations is seeking talented, enthusiastic, and motivated professionals to join our growing team and help us to continue to provide superior environmental services. This position is for On-Call field biologists to assist with construction and environmental compliance services, which include but are not limited to the following: pre-construction surveys, construction compliance monitoring, wildlife monitoring, nesting bird surveys, plant identification and surveys, and habitat assessments.
Biologists will be based at project sites located throughout southern California and be contacted for work on an as-needed basis, with the duration of employment based on performance, project needs, and the availability of work. The successful candidate should be prepared to travel to field sites within but not limited to San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, Imperial, Kern, and Ventura Counties.
Biologists will be scheduled for work as project needs are identified and may be contacted a few weeks in advance or given shorter notice (within a day or two) in order to meet project needs. When scheduling field work for specific projects, reliable and prompt response from On-Call personnel regarding availability and interest in the offered work will be required. However, On-Call personnel are not expected to be available for all field work opportunities and are encouraged to work concurrent projects outside of obligations to WI projects, as long as that work does not create a conflict of interest with other WI project work. Biologists will be expected to communicate promptly via email or phone, following established procedures within an identified project and company-specific chain of command.
Candidates with established expertise within specific environmental resource areas (i.e., avian specialist), should identify those qualifications and preferences within the requested cover letter.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Perform pre-construction surveys, construction compliance monitoring, wildlife monitoring, nesting bird surveys, plant identification and surveys, and habitat assessments
• Work collaboratively with Wildlife Innovations, construction, and regulatory personnel to develop solutions while satisfying permit requirements
• Work with construction crews and environmental resource leads to document pre-identified compliance milestones and procedures on project sites.
• Provide detailed technical reports highlighting survey results and construction activity, in relation to pre-determined environmental compliance guidelines, and recording additional relevant observations within established platforms to be used for reporting purposes.
• Oversee the installation and maintenance of wildlife exclusion fencing, sediment and erosion control devices, and designated waste management areas.
• Follow all general and site-specific safety protocols
Closing Date: These positions will remain open until qualified applicants are identified.
Application Procedure: Submit a single PDF or MS Word document containing a cover letter, your current resume, and contact information for at least 3 references (make sure that your application package clearly demonstrates your experience regarding the minimum qualifications described within this announcement). Phone inquiries are not accepted, so please email with any questions. Email application materials, with subject line On-Call Biologist Position, to:
• A BA/BS in Biology, Ecology, Wildlife, Natural Resources, or other closely related discipline
• Knowledge of the ecology of southern California, including strong wildlife, fish, and/or plant identification skills.
• Ability to operate within a variable schedule and availability to respond timely to communications from personnel regarding On-Call opportunities
• Ability to travel to remote field locations, by vehicle and on foot, within steep and variable terrain, during all types of weather
• Own or have access to a computer, smart phone, or tablet that can be used to enter and conduct quality checks of data, compose and submit reports, and to communicate with company or project personnel via email
• Ability to work collaboratively within a team environment
• Strong written and verbal communication skills, and well organized
• Strong critical thinking, analytical, and problem-solving skills
• Proficiency in MS Office Applications (Word, Outlook, Excel), and experience using data collection applications such as ESRI’s Collector for ArcGIS or Survey 123
• Proficient in the diligent collection, entry, and quality control of project data
• Must have valid driver’s license and successfully pass a driving record check
• Ability to adhere to field and site-specific safety procedures
• Well-developed navigational skills using topo maps and GPS systems
• Endurance to work long days when needed (as many as 10–14 hours), maintaining a positive attitude during challenging situations
• More than 2 years of environmental consulting field experience
• Experience conducting special-status (state or federally protected) wildlife, fish, and/or plant species surveys, and/or habitat assessments
• Strong experience with avian species identification and nest monitoring
• Experience safely conducting work within active construction sites while communicating with operators
• Experience using Geographic Information System (GIS) software
• Experience preparing or assisting with preparation of CEQA and/or NEPA documents, wildlife inventories and/or vegetation inventories, biological assessments, etc.