The University of Maine’s Tanglewood and Blueberry Cove 4-H Center is seeking Ecology Field Teachers. You'll provide a hands-on, ecology immersion for students in the fall for our Open Air Classroom. Our Tanglewood site in Lincolnville, Maine has 900+ acres of forest, extensive hiking trails, and a pristine river with native Atlantic salmon. Our Blueberry Cove site is located on the ocean in Tenants Harbor, Maine and provides a myriad of outdoor opportunities, including sailing and kayaking.
Our mission is to teach Maine youth and adults to be effective and caring citizens of the earth through affordable environmental education and nature-based experiences. Our vision is to create a place where people learn to live responsibly and in balance with the earth.
- Teach hands-on, outdoor, ecology lessons to grades K- 12 for day and overnight programs.
- Work independently and with staff to develop and maintain teaching resources.
- Participate in staff training and daily staff meetings to plan and evaluate programs.
- Take part in routine tasks of dishes, gardening, cleaning and upkeep of program spaces to support the staff community.
- Foster interpersonal relationships that reflect courtesy, civility and mutual respect.
- Demonstrate responsible and safe decision-making skills.
Fall Dates: September 4, 2018 - October 26, 2018
- Motivation to work with children in a high energy, outdoor setting
- Experiential education experience with youth, preferably in an outdoor setting
- Knowledge of ecological concepts and natural history
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR preferred. WFR and lifeguard needed for some summer trip leading positions.
- Ability to be in an active, outdoor environment, in a variety of weather conditions
- Ability to lead groups over various terrain (uneven ground, roots, uphill hiking), while carrying a small backpack with teaching and first aid supplies
- Professional appearance and attitude
Apply: Email a cover letter, resume, names and contact information for three references to: email@example.com; (207) 789-5805. For more information visit: http://extension.umaine.edu/tanglewood/