Job Description: This posting is for an OPS* technician position with the Florida Fisheries and Wildlife Conservation Commission out of the Prairie Lakes Field Office (Three Lakes Wildlife Management Area) in Kenansville, Florida. Primary duties will include removal of invasive exotic plants both chemically and mechanically; maintenance of trucks and off-road vehicles; participation in prescribed fire; and maintenance of buildings and residences. 40 hours/week.
WHAT IS OPS EMPLOYMENT? Other Personal Services (OPS) temporary employer/employee relationship used solely for accomplishing short term or intermittent tasks. OPS employees do not fill established positions and may not be assigned the duties of any vacant authorized position. OPS employees are at-will employees and are subject to actions such as pay changes, changes to work assignment and terminations at the pleasure of the agency head or designee.
WHAT BENEFITS ARE APPLICABLE TO OPS EMPLOYEES?
• State of Florida 401(a) FICA Alternative Plan - mandatory
• Workers’ Compensation - mandatory
• Reemployment Assistance (Unemployment Compensation) - mandatory
• Participation in state group insurance (must meet eligibility requirements. Consult with People First or the servicing Human Resource Office for details.)
• Deferred Compensation - voluntary
• Employee Assistance Program – voluntary
WHAT BENEFITS ARE NOT APPLICABLE TO OPS EMPLOYEES?
• Any form of paid leave
• Paid holidays
• Participation in the Florida Retirement System
• Reinstatement rights or retention rights
The State of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer and does not tolerate discrimination or violence in the workplace.
Candidates requiring a reasonable accommodation, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, must notify the agency hiring authority and/or People First Service Center (1-866-663-4735). Notification to the hiring authority must be made in advance to allow sufficient time to provide the accommodation.
The State of Florida supports a Drug-Free workplace. All employees are subject to reasonable suspicion drug testing in accordance with Section 112.0455, F.S., Drug-Free Workplace Act.
• Applicant must possess and maintain a valid US Driver’s License.
• High school diploma.
• The ability to lift and carry 25+ lbs.
• Willingness to work outside in inclement conditions including heat, humidity, biting insects, etc.
• Follow verbal and written instructions; communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
• The ability to work in a highly adaptive environment.
• Ability to identify Florida plants, both native and exotic.
• Prior experience with properly handling herbicide.
• Experience with prescribed fire.
• Experience operating tractors, heavy equipment, 4x4 vehicles, chainsaws, herbicide sprayers, GPS units, etc.
To apply please send your cover letter and resume to Shayna Jacques, Shayna.Jacques@MyFWC.com