Work for Indiana!
The Governor’s Public Service Summer Internship (GPSSI) is designed to give college students real world, hands on experience in their desired field of study to enhance marketability upon graduation. Participation in the Governor’s Public Service Summer Internship will offer students a multitude of experiences including networking with state employees, resume building and soft skills workshops, agency head panels and much more.
About the Job:
The Outreach and Education Intern will work alongside the Division of Fish & Wildlife’s Outreach and Education unit. The Outreach & Education Intern will assist the Outreach and Education team in developing and implementing outreach, information and education programs and products. Division outreach and education efforts cover a wide range of fish and wildlife topics through a variety of communication channels. This is an excellent opportunity to gain valuable on-the-job, career driven summer work experience while interfacing with both professional staff and the public.
A Day in the Life:
• Assist with developing and implementing education and outreach strategies promoting
Division of Fish & Wildlife and DNR messages, mission and goals.
• Assist with the coordination of special events and shows.
• Assist with updating DFW website with appropriate information.
• Assist the Outreach and Education team and Division of Communications to ensure
accurate fish and wildlife related information is shared on websites, social media,
electronic newsletters, news releases and other communications channels.
• Represent the Division of Fish & Wildlife and the DNR positively by providing excellent
customer service for the public and DNR staff.
• Inspire among program participants enthusiasm for Indiana’s natural resources and
• Complete special projects and training as assigned. This may include projects that
relate to interpretive exhibit research, program evaluation, or development of other
educational programs and presentations.
What we're looking for:
• Majoring in one of the following: Environmental science, science education, marketing,
mass communications, science communications, environmental or outdoor education,
or other natural resources related field (i.e. biology, botany, fish and wildlife, ecology,
• Computer skills including proficiency with word processing, spreadsheets, database
management, presentation design, social media, and desktop publishing.
• Effective verbal and written communications and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to effectively manage assigned workload by working independently to complete
work duties as assigned.
• Ability to seek out and compile information and research in support of project goals and
• Ability to review, interpret, and present data to recommend appropriate
communication, outreach and education efforts.
• Customer service skills sufficient to work with customers, staff, support organizations
and outside interests with courtesy, respect, and interest in positive problem solving
• Strong organizational skills.
The State of Indiana is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To Apply: https://www.in.gov/spd/2333.htm and click on Search State Jobs. Search by Job ID 621258 or find other Governor Summer Intern positions by searching for “intern” in keywords.
*In order be eligible for an internship, applicants must be enrolled as undergraduates or graduates in an accredited post-secondary institution, and have completed one year of undergraduate education.
Questions can be directed to:
Director of Outreach & Education
Indiana Department of Natural Resources
Division of Fish & Wildlife
402 W. Washington Street, Room W273
Indianapolis, IN 46204