The Humane Society of The United States (HSUS), the nation’s most effective animal advocacy organization is seeking an Outreach and Engagement Specialist for the Wildlife Protection department. This position is responsible for implementing an outreach and engagement strategy to help grow the Prairie Dog Coalition (PDC). This position will support the PDC program and handle day to day administrative operations of the office.
This position will be responsible for:
• Implementing the outreach and engagement strategy for the PDC to include but is not limited to developing media relationships, working with communities, schools and organizations to garner a greater appreciation for prairie dogs and their habitat, drafting and facilitating print and social media, organizing outreach events and presentations, and communicating with regional prairie dog ecosystem advocates to support our prairie dog protection efforts;
• Overseeing and managing the volunteer and internship program which includes recruiting, training, and communications;
• Attending volunteer events, as needed;
• Coordinating and assisting in fundraising and field events which includes handling all related communications, event components, and meetings;
• Coordinating program meetings, maintaining office supplies and equipment, and other administrative support;
• Collecting, recording and tracking program donations to ensure donations and donor records are accurately captured in the main database;
• Staying abreast of latest trends and non-profit organization best practices.
• Bachelor’s degree in communications, environment, or animal related work, or equivalent work experience required;
• Minimum of two years of relevant experience required:
• Understanding of wildlife conservation issues required;
• Experience in non-profit sector ideal, background in environment or animal protection preferred;
• Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking and writing for diverse audiences;
• Attention to detail and commitment to excellence demonstrated by the delivery of quality and timely outcomes;
• Excellent organizational, planning, and time management skills with demonstrated flexibility and the ability to manage multiple and often changing priorities and issues of varying complexity, while meeting time sensitive deadlines and deliverables;
• Ability to work collaboratively with different teams to effectively follow through on team and organizational goals;
• Must be able to work around animals and in physically demanding environments;
• Ability to work both independently and as an effective team member in a team environment;
• Must be willing and able to travel.
When applying, please upload your resume and cover letter together as one document.
This is a remote position.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, and disability, marital or parental status or protected veteran status. EOE