Applications are being accepted for a Post-Doctoral Fellowship positions in the Department of Earth System Science and Policy (ESSP) of the University of North Dakota (UND) working with Dr. Haochi Zheng and Dr. Soizik Laguette. The position is currently open and starting date is no later than July 1st, 2022.
Duties & Responsibilities
The successful candidate will conduct research on identifying plant species and management techniques that are suitable to support pollinators in farmland and ranchland dominated agroecosystems. This postdoc research associate will gain knowledge on conservation practices that are economic sustainable for small farm and rancher producers and environmental protective for pollinators. Working with the co-PIs and other collaborators inside and outside of the UND campus, the postdoc research associate’s work may include, but is not necessarily limited to:
• Collect preliminary data and information on current ranching pattern and practices and their impacts on pollinators;
• Assess common forage species on their ecological characteristics, agronomic productivities, and the economic performance, with association to pollinators.
• Engage with local rancher, farming, and beekeeping communities to identify practical and economic barriers in adopting sustainable management to support pollinators.
• Submit, and assist submitting proposals for external funding.
• Understand of pollinator, pollination ecology, and their conservation needs.
• Knowledge on plant species and their characteristics related to pollinators.
• Strong oral and written communications skills.
• Quantitative and analytical skills.
• Good organizational skills.
• Ph.D. degree or successfully defended Ph. D. dissertation in the field of Grassland Ecology, Range Science, Entomology (pollinators), Natural Resource Management, Agricultural Economics (livestock management), or a related discipline by the start date.
• Successful completion of criminal history records check.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the US and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
• Experience in fieldwork and stakeholder engagement
• Spatial analytical skill in ArcGIS, ENVI, or Programming skills in Matlab, Python, or other scientific programming language.