The successful candidate will assist Dr. Richard Buchholz in the development, deployment and evaluation of the Gulf Coast Citizen Science Initiative (GMCSI), through a grant from the Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality and the RESTORE Council. GMCSI will help with conservation management of marine and coastal resources along the north central Gulf of Mexico through use of a smart phone app to document changes in the marine environment, eventually resulting in a multi-year data base. The project will: 1. provide increased understanding of the marine environment 2. promote public awareness and educate coastal communities regarding marine environmental issues, and 3. create an important data-base that will help protect our dwindling marine resources. This position is based in Oxford, MS and requires travel to the northern Gulf of Mexico coast.
Position responsibilities may include:
• Assist with app beta testing and refinement
• Develop and administer citizen science projects with Gulf coast users
• Plan and arrange meetings with potential app user groups
• Meet with state of Mississippi resource managers
• Train community members in use of the app
• Identify marine organisms from the Gulf of Mexico from images supplied by app users
• Assist in establishing data repository
• Evaluate data integrity on a regular basis
• Analyze data to detect long-term trends
• Prepare reports and manuscripts describing results
• Present results to management agencies, funding agency, and at scientific conferences.
• Communicate results to the public
Must start in the second quarter of 2022.
At the time of appointment, the successful applicant will have a PhD or equivalent in a marine science-related field such as biological oceanography, marine ecology, fisheries science or similar, or in another field of biology but with experience working with marine or coastal organisms, or in environmental education.
Preferred Competencies, Experience
• Demonstrated interest in citizen/community science
• Research experience in fish and/or fisheries biology with a focus on the Gulf of Mexico is highly desirable.
• Experience in identification of Gulf of Mexico coastal and marine fauna.
• Experience with managing and analyzing large data sets.
• Strong public outreach, communication, team building, and organizational skills.
-send CV, statement of interest, and the contact information of 3 references to Richard Buchholz, firstname.lastname@example.org