Postdoctoral Research Fellowship in Nature Conservation, Johannesburg, South Africa
University of South Africa
Florid, Johannesburg, South Africa
Post Doctoral Appointments
Last Date to Apply
We are inviting applications from early career terrestrial vegetation ecologists for a 3-year Postdoctoral Fellowship in the Department of Environmental Science at Unisa. The successful candidate must have experience in vegetation classification and description, and in animal behavioural studies involving habitat use. The candidate will be encouraged to develop and source funding for a research project in the broad field of vegetation ecology (classification & biodiversity) as well as baseline animal behavioural studies involving habitat use. In addition, the successful candidate will be expected to oversee and assist with data collection, analysis, and publication of existing data and/or data emanating from various ongoing research projects in vegetation and animal ecology.
• A PhD in Vegetation Ecology/Botany obtained in the last 5 years, or evidence that the PhD thesis has been submitted for examination.
• A track-record of peer-reviewed publications and conference presentations in the specified field of study.
• Advanced GIS and quantitative analysis skills.
• Travel (COVID restrictions permitting) to various field sites to oversee/assist in data collection.
• Submission of at least two peer-reviewed publications per annum.
• Presentation of research findings at one conference per annum (funding permitting).
• Quarterly reporting on activities and progress with outputs.
• Assist with field data collection and analyses (existing and new projects).
• Development of own research project (incl. writing of grant proposal, ethical clearance, etc.)
The successful candidate will be affiliated to the Applied Behavioural Ecology & Ecosystem Research Unit (ABEERU) within the Department of Environmental Science of UNISA (University of South Africa), and will be hosted Prof LR Brown.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit you application to Prof Brown (email@example.com )
Please include the following as attachments to your emailed application, with “NatCon Postdoctoral Fellow” in the subject line:
1. A cover letter.
2. Your CV, including three contactable references.
3. A certified copy of your PhD certificate (or letter verifying that you have submitted your PhD for examination).
4. A short concept note (1-2 pages) describing the type of research project that you envisage developing.
5. Your completed Unisa application form that is embedded at the end of this advert.