The University of Southern Mississippi invites applications for a postdoctoral researcher within the School of Biological, Environmental, and Earth Sciences (BEES). We seek expertise in fluvial geomorphology, hydraulic modeling, and/or sediment/soil quality for a project emphasizing sedimentation along river-floodplain systems of interest to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers - Engineer Research and Development Center (USACE-ERDC). The successful candidate will have opportunities to collaborate with researchers in the Schools of Coastal Resilience and Ocean Science and Engineering and, if desired, instruct classes within the School of BEES. The appointment is for one year with a salary up to $55,000 and benefits; two additional years could be available if a continuing agreement is approved. Additional research support, including funds for conference and/or workshop travel, is available. The start date would commence as early as January 1, 2022.
Primary duties and responsibilities for this position include:
1. Work closely with PI and the multi-disciplinary research team to plan, design, and execute field, lab, and analytical research activities.
2. Utilize analytical software applicable to candidate's expertise.
3. Facilitate development of project-related reports and manuscripts.
4. Communicate research findings to collaborators, scientists, and students.
5. If applicable to candidate's expertise - Conduct field work in variable and difficult conditions.
6. Perform other duties as assigned.
Review of applications will begin immediately and the position will remain open until filled. Applicants must submit: 1) a cover letter detailing qualifications and relevant experience, 2) CV, 3) a statement of research interest (not to exceed 2 pages), and 4) names and contact information for three professional references. The successful candidate will have completed their Ph.D. in Geoscience, Environmental Science, Soil Science, Environmental Engineering, or related field.
For inquiries about the position, please contact Dr. Frank Heitmuller at Franklin.Heitmuller@usm.edu. Apply at https://usm.csod.com/ATS/CareerSite/JobDetails.aspx?id=2351&site=1&c=usm.