We are hiring 6 temporary, seasonal field technicians for a study examining prairie chicken hen, nest, and brood survival under different grazing treatments. Technicians will assist with trapping, nest searching, predator surveys, camera surveys, cow-paddie surveys, brood monitoring, and habitat measurements.
This study will have 2 field sites and 3 field crews, one crew located near Glacial Ridge National Wildlife Refuge east of Crookston and 2 crews at another study area located between Moorhead and Detroit Lakes, MN consisting of DNR and Nature Conservancy properties in very rural farming communities. Housing is not included during the prairie-chicken field season but low cost options are available at the nearby towns of Crookston, McIntosh, Moorhead, Hawley, Glyndon, and Fargo.
• Knowledge of ecology and wildlife biology.
• Ability to use standard lab and field techniques to collect biological data in the field responsibly and safely, including under challenging field conditions (cold, heat, rain, deep snow), sometimes for long days and under a varying schedule (e.g., early mornings, late nights).
• Ability to follow written protocols.
• Ability to carefully enter scientific data into datasheets or databases.
• Ability to navigate in the field using maps and GPS units.
• Communication skills sufficient to communicate technical information and record field data.
• Ability to work effectively and courteously with DNR staff and members of the public, including private landowners and hunters.
• Computer proficiency, including experience with word processing and Excel spreadsheets.
• Ability to work long hours with minimal supervision.
• Ability to operate 4WD vehicles including pick-up trucks on minimally maintained roads.
• Associates or bachelor’s degree in wildlife, ecology, natural resource management, or related field.
• Experience safely handling wild animals for marking purposes, especially birds.
• Experience interacting with public land managers, private landowners, and the general public.
• Experience with safely operating, trailering, and towing UTVs or similar equipment.
• Experience using ArcGIS
• Experience using Microsoft Word.
• Experience independently troubleshooting and resolving problems.
To apply, go to the Minnesota State Job Board at mn.gov/mmb/careers/ and search Job ID 60564 or Prairie-Chicken Study Technician. Please also send your materials to email@example.com