Job Description The DNR is seeking to hire a temporary employee to be stationed at the Prairie Resource Center. The primary responsibilities of the Temporary Worker at the Iowa DNR Prairie Resource Center are to assist the team with the production of local ecotype native grass and wildflower seed for Iowa’s public lands. The person in this position must possess strong organization and communication skills and be able to express ideas orally and in writing. The candidate must possess identification skills of plants to lead others in the propagation, maintenance, and harvest of prairie species. The person must be a leader capable of leading groups of volunteers, inmate offenders, and other employees. Candidates must possess the ability to operate independently with indirect supervision under general coordination and program guidelines.
Identify and harvest seed of specific prairie species from prairie remnants across the state.
Assist in the propagation of prairie species at greenhouse and plot areas.
Assist in the direction volunteers and other staff in cleaning, planting, and harvest of prairie plant materials.
Assist in the planting and establishment of native grass and forb production fields.
Coordinate volunteer activities within the Prairie Resource Unit.
Assist with prairie and conservation education activities with various groups of people.
Assist with writing and organization of newsletter.
Assist with harvest and storage of prairie seed.
Assist with distribution of plant materials to various DNR entities.
Participate in personal and professional development training activities.
Control noxious weeds in seed production areas. Beneficial to have pesticide applicators license prior to employment.
Minimum Qualifications • Graduated from or currently enrolled in or on break between semesters of college, or about to enter first semester of college from high school.
• Major must be in Wildlife Ecology or another closely related Natural Resource Field.
• Must be available for all interviews and training as required
• Must have a valid motor vehicle operator’s license
• Must be a minimum of 18 years of age
• Able to work alone, with the public, in all conditions, on weekends, holidays, nights, and evenings as required.
• Able to withstand physically demanding work, including lifting, bending, or hauling
• Work with minimal supervision, demonstrate responsible behavior and attention to detail
• Follow policy and cooperate with supervisors and co-workers
• Exhibits honesty and integrity.
• Works and communicates with internal and external clients and customers to meet their needs in a polite, courteous and cooperative manner.
• Displays a high level of initiative, effort and commitment towards completing assignments efficiently.
• Aligns behavior with needs, priorities, and goals of the organization.