Pheasants Forever and Quail Forever, and the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) seek a talented individual to serve as our partnership’s first Precision Agriculture & Conservation Specialist in Alabama. The precision ag & conservation specialist will work to increase awareness and understanding of how data-driven, targeted, on-farm conservation activities can increase profitability and sustainability through improved conservation stewardship on agricultural operations. The employee will work closely with a wide range of farmers, ranchers, ag industry professionals, retailers, and cooperatives to help producers achieve multiple conservation objectives through decision making based on precision agriculture information and sub-field economics. This effort will provide an opportunity to identify where conservation adoption can make agriculture operations more profitable and make significant contributions to the conservation of quail, pollinators and other wildlife throughout Alabama. This position will be a Quail Forever employee and will be required to maintain a home-based office. Travel throughout Alabama will be required, with a mileage reimbursement for personal vehicle use when an office vehicle is not available. Significant time will be spent in the field working with farmers, ranchers, and other ag industry professionals.
Essential Job Duties:
• Promote the common goals of improving farm economics and environmental sustainability using available technology and decision-making software to implement conservation practices.
• Increase farmer awareness and education about on-farm conservation and natural resources management, as well as increase the scale and/or rate of conservation practice delivery and adoption by farmers through a Return On Investment (ROI) and/or profit/acre based approach.
• Understand and relay how use of agricultural economic information and benefits of precision agriculture data can be used to develop conservation alternatives on agricultural operations.
• Possess a working knowledge of data collection and management software and platforms to conduct and interpret analyses of precision data and economic inputs to calculate ROI/profitability on a sub-field level.
• Develop opportunities to enhance connections of farmers, farm groups or trusted advisors with conservation professionals and agencies such as NRCS, Soil Conservation Districts, Alabama Cooperative Extension System, ALFA,USFWS, and Quail Forever Farm Bill Biologists.
• Increase coordination and efficiency in implementing conservation programs by fostering trust and credibility among Alabama farmers and the agriculture industry.
• Coordinate, lead, and conduct education and outreach activities ,events, and seminars to promote conservation opportunities with various agricultural producer audiences
• Participate in Pheasants Forever and Quail Forever Precision Ag and Conservation Solutions team.
• Work with local Quail Forever chapters and utilize their local networks to elevate precision agriculture and conservation in their communities.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Demonstrated experience as a leader with strong initiative.
• Excellent oral and written communication, coordination, and organizational skills. Must be comfortable with public speaking.
• Strong customer relation and interpersonal skills; ability to communicate effectively, and excellent attention to detail.
• Knowledge of and ability to utilize mapping software, such as ArcGIS
• Self-motivated and ability to work independently and with diverse clientele.
• Demonstrated knowledge of modern farm equipment and techniques, technology, and agronomic and conservation practices common to Alabama.
• Ability to relate to farmers and farmer-led organizations, agribusiness, and hunters.
• Ability to organize, develop, and implement educational and outreach activities, including workshops and seminars. Must be comfortable with public speaking.
• Knowledge of conservation program offerings, including USDA Farm Bill Programs, as well as state and local programs, is preferred.
• Demonstrated experience successfully partnering with farmers, ag industry, conservation agencies, University Extension, etc. is preferred.
• A strong passion for the outdoors, agriculture, and conservation.
• Ability to travel frequently within the Southeast and occasionally travel within and outside the state to attend professional meetings/conferences.
• Valid driver’s license required; Use of personal vehicle required (mileage reimbursement provided); Home office required (Computer, printer, and general office supplies provided).
Education and Experience Guideline:
Applicants should possess a minimum of a Bachelor of Science degree (or 2-year degree with equivalent experience) in Agriculture, Agronomy, Ag Systems Technology, Ag Business, or a Natural Resources field with relevant agricultural experience. Direct experience working on a farm operation is strongly preferred. A passion for agriculture, the outdoors, conservation, wildlife and working directly with farmers and other ag and conservation professionals is highly desired. Applicants should demonstrate extensive knowledge of agriculture, agronomy and precision agriculture management techniques, principles, goals, and objectives.
Salary Information: Commensurate with experience; plus benefits.
Application Requirements: You must combine a cover letter that outlines your interest in the position and your qualifications, along with a detailed resume, and 3 references, into one MS Word document or Adobe Acrobat PDF file before uploading to the “Resume” area of your application on our Recruitment website at: www.pheasantsforever.org/jobs . Pheasants Forever is considered a federal contractor; therefore, we must ensure all employees, regardless of work location or job duties, are fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Upon employment you will be required to provide proof that you are fully vaccinated, proof of a valid medical exemption or legitimate religious objection.
For more information about the position, contact either of the following individuals:
Tim Caughran, Pheasants Forever and Quail Forever Director of Conservation Delivery, South Region, by e-mail at TCaughran@quailforever.org or Jess McGuire, Quail Forever Working Lands for Wildlife Bobwhite Coordinator, by email at JMcGuire@quailforever.org
Pheasants Forever and Quail Forever are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as a qualified individual with disability, or any other category that may be protected by law.