Pheasants Forever and Quail Forever, the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency (TWRA) and the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) seek a talented individual to serve as our partnership’s first Precision Agriculture & Conservation Specialist (PACS) in Tennessee. The PACS will work to increase awareness and understanding of how data-driven, targeted, on-farm conservation activities can increase profitability and sustainability through improved conservation stewardship on agricultural operations. The PACS will work closely with a wide range of farmers, ag industry professionals, retailers, and cooperatives to help producers achieve multiple conservation objectives through decision making based on precision agriculture information and sub-field economics. This effort will provide an opportunity to identify where conservation adoption can make agriculture operations more profitable and make significant contributions to the conservation of quail, pollinators and other wildlife throughout West Tennessee. The PACS will be a Quail Forever employee and will be required to maintain a home-based office convenient to the Jackson NRCS Area 1 Office. Travel throughout West Tennessee will be required, with a mileage reimbursement for personal vehicle use. The PACS will spend significant time in the field working with farmers and other ag industry professionals.
Essential Job Duties:
• Promote the common goals of improving farm economics and environmental sustainability using available technology and decision-making software to implement conservation practices.
• Increase farmer awareness and education about on-farm conservation and natural resources management, as well as increase the scale and/or rate of conservation practice delivery and adoption by farmers through a Return On Investment (ROI) and/or profit/acre based approach.
• Understand and relay how use of agricultural economic information and benefits of precision agriculture data can be used to develop conservation alternatives on agricultural operations.
• Possess a working knowledge of data collection and management software and platforms to conduct and interpret analyses of precision data and economic inputs to calculate ROI/profitability on a sub-field level.
• Develop opportunities to enhance connections of farmers/farm groups with conservation professionals and agencies such as NRCS, Soil Conservation Districts, and Quail Forever Farm Bill Biologists.
• Increase coordination and efficiency in implementing conservation programs by fostering trust and credibility among Tennessee farmers and the agriculture industry.
• Coordinate and conduct education and outreach activities and events to promote conservation opportunities with various agricultural producer audiences.
• Participate on national Pheasants Forever and Quail Forever Precision ag and conservation solutions team.
• Work with local Quail Forever chapters and utilize their local networks to elevate precision agriculture and conservation in their communities.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Demonstrated experience as a leader with strong initiative.
• Excellent oral and written communication, coordination, and organizational skills.
• Strong customer relation and interpersonal skills; ability to communicate effectively, and excellent attention to detail.
• Self-motivated and ability to work independently and with diverse clientele.
• Demonstrated knowledge of modern farm equipment and techniques, technology, and agronomic and conservation practices common to West Tennessee.
• Ability to relate to farmers and farmer-led organizations, agribusiness, and hunters.
• Ability to organize, develop, and implement educational and outreach activities, including workshops and seminars. Must be comfortable with public speaking.
• Knowledge of conservation program offerings, including USDA Farm Bill Programs, as well as state and local programs, is preferred.
• Demonstrated experience successfully partnering with farmers, ag industry, conservation agencies, University Extension, etc. is preferred.
• A strong passion for the outdoors, agriculture, and conservation.
• Ability to travel frequently within the West Tennessee region and occasionally travel within and outside the state to attend professional meetings/conferences.
• Valid driver’s license required; Use of personal vehicle required (mileage reimbursement provided); Home office required (Computer, printer, and general office supplies provided).
Education and Experience Guideline:
Applicants should possess a minimum of a Bachelor of Science degree (or 2-year degree with equivalent experience) in Agriculture, Agronomy, Ag Systems Technology, Ag Business, or a Natural Resources field with relevant agricultural experience. Direct experience working on a farm operation is strongly preferred. A passion for agriculture, the outdoors, conservation, wildlife and working directly with farmers and other ag and conservation professionals is highly desired. Applicants should demonstrate extensive knowledge of agriculture, agronomy and precision agriculture management techniques, principles, goals, and objectives.
Salary Information: Commensurate with experience; plus benefits.
Application Requirements: You must combine a cover letter that outlines your interest in the position and your qualifications, along with a detailed resume, and 3 references, into one MS Word document or Adobe Acrobat PDF file before uploading to the Recruitment website at: www.pheasantsforever.org/jobs .
For more information about the position, contact either of the following individuals:
Kent Adams, Pheasants Forever and Quail Forever Director of Field Operations, East Region, at 717-319-5575 or by e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Curt McDaniel, USDA-NRCS Area Conservationist at 731-410-4813 or by email at: email@example.com.
Pheasants Forever Inc. & Quail Forever are an EEO Employer/Vet/Disabled.