The Forest Preserve District of Kane County’s Operations & Maintenance Department is accepting applications for one (1) Preserve Maintenance Worker for the South Operations.
DATE POSTED: AUGUST 4, 2017
GRUNWALD FARMS FOREST PRESERVE, ELBURN, ILLINOIS
APPROXIMATELY 60 MILES WEST OF CHICAGO
STARTING SALARY RANGE: $31,521.00 PER YEAR
HOURS/SCHEDULE: LIMITED TO 40-HOUR WORKWEEK, INCLUDES WEEKENDS, NIGHTS AND HOLIDAYS.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: AUGUST 20, 2017
All candidates must apply on-line at: http://www.kaneforest.com/employment/apply.aspx
Under direction of the Operations Supervisor or Operations Senior Staff, performs a wide variety of assigned work required to protect, preserve, interpret, operate and maintain District property. Emphasis is placed on carrying out preserve operations and maintenance for active open space and structural facilities, natural resource management projects, and providing visitor services such as: emergency response, ordinance interpretation, preserve information, and maintaining safe, clean, functional facilities. Acts as a crew leader for summer seasonal staff.
ESSENTIAL POSITION DUTIES & FUNCTIONS
- Mows and maintains District open space areas, bike trails, multi-use trails and roadways; removes fallen trees/branches caused by storm damage or other natural events.
- Insures proper maintenance of equipment and tools; performs routine inspection and preventative maintenance on assigned equipment
- Assists Ranger staff as required and assigned: cleans and sanitizes restrooms and rental buildings, replenishes supplies; cleans up spills and picnic shelters.
- Collects and disposes of solid waste and litter from buildings and grounds.
- Performs semi-skilled building and structural maintenance.
- Operates trucks of various sizes and weights; loading, hauling and unloading of various equipment and material.
- Assists the public as needed.
- Operates light to heavy construction and power equipment.
- Performs general and preventative maintenance on equipment and vehicles.
- Installs preserve boundary, directional and informational signs.
- Provides assistance with the preparation and maintenance of District garden areas.
- Provides assistance with the campground operation and collection of fees.
- Performs room setup for District events.
- Prepares site and provides assistance with District special events as well as special use permits obtained by the public.
- Opens and closes preserve gates as needed.
- Responds to emergency call-outs on a 24-hour, 7-days a week basis.
- Works irregular hours, including weekends, evenings and holidays.
- Possesses and maintains a valid and current Illinois driver’s license free from suspension or revocation during term of employment; must maintain insurability with the District's fleet insurance carrier.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a CDL Class A license, and operate vehicles/trailers requiring such license.
- Performs the job safely and in compliance with District policies, procedures, work and safety rules, and the Employee Handbook.
- Establishes positive relationships with community and preserve users.
- Provides input during the budget preparation process.
- Acts as a crew leader to Summer Seasonals; carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
Additional duties and functions may be essential.
- Minimum Age Requirement: 18 years old
- Education: High school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Experience: One (1) year in landscaping, natural resources, recreation, or closely related field a plus; previous experience operating required equipment; or an equivalent combination of relevant education, experience and training.
- Certifications/Licenses: CPR/1st AID/AED, CDL Class A, Pesticide Operator; S-130 and S-190 Prescribe Burn or equivalent; all licenses/certifications must be obtained and maintained within one year of employment.