YOUR POSITION WITH TNC
The Preserve Management Assistant will travel throughout the Prairie Forest Border Ecoregion in central and southeast Minnesota participating in preserve management activities and is based out of Cushing, MN. This position runs April 2, 2018 – October 26, 2018. This postion pays $12.50 to $15.50 per hour plus housing for duration of employment.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE
The Preserve Management Assistant (PMA) participates in preserve management activities which may include some or all of the following functions:
- The PFBE PMA will work across central and southeast Minnesota.
- Assist with leading volunteers, seasonal staff, and interns
- Assist in directing and interacting with Student Conservation Association (SCA) interns, -
Conservation Corps Minnesota (CCM) crews, and private contractors on various projects.
- Assist with maintaining public lands including state-owned Wildlife Management Areas
(WMA's) and federally-owned Waterfowl Production Areas (WPA's), as well as TNC
preserves and other protected lands.
- Prescribed burn preparation, implementation, and post-fire monitoring with TNC, MN
Department of Natural Resources (MN DNR), and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS)
- Remove and chemically treat herbaceous and woody exotic species.
- Maintain tools and equipment.
- Monitor and record data entries for various logs, photo points, and vegetation research
- Post and sign properties.
- Seed harvest.
- Other preserve management activities.
MUST APPLY ONLINE at www.nature.org/about-us/careers/ Apply to Job ID 46043
- High school diploma and 6 months of related experience.
- Must be qualified as a Fire Fighter Type 2 (FFT2), including Introduction to ICS (I-100), -
Human Factors on the Fire line (L-180), Introduction to Wild land Fire Behavior (S-190),
Firefighting Training (S-130), and one training burn serving under the supervision of a
qualified FFT2. See http://www.tncfiremanual.org/firefighter.htm
- Must achieve physical fitness standard as determined by local Fire Program Manager and
the TNC Fire Manual.
- Experience operating various types of equipment
- Must be able to obtain related licenses or certifications as required. (e.g. First Aid, CPR,
and driver’s license).
- Multi-lingual and/or multicultural experience appreciated.
- 6 months -1 year of related experience.
- All TNC staff actively participating on a prescribed burn must be qualified as a FFT2.
- Qualified as or able to meet qualifications for FFT2, including Introduction to ICS (I-100),
Human Factors on the Fireline (L-180), Introduction to Wildland Fire Behavior (S-190),
Firefighting Training (S-130), National Incident Management System (IS-700), and one
training burn serving under the supervision of a qualified FFT2. See
- Ability to pass US Forest Service work capacity test at arduous level (3 mile walk with 45 lb.
pack in 45 minutes).
- Experience recognizing plant and animal species in Minnesota.
- Experience performing physical work.
- Ability to operate and maintain various types of equipment in a safe and efficient manner
(e.g. engine, pumps, ATV, brush-cutter, chainsaw, two-way radio).
- Working knowledge of handheld GPS units.
- Ability and willingness to follow instructions from colleagues.
- Valid driver’s license with a good driving record, and able to pass the DOT federal medical
- Qualified or able to obtain Minnesota Pesticide Applicator license.