The Lemur Conservation Foundation is offering a 7 month internship from April 23, 2018 to November 23, 2018 in primate husbandry. LCF’s internship offers an exceptional opportunity to receive training at an AZA certified-related institution, with a strong commitment to conservation, education, and animal care. The Primate Husbandry Intern will be trained in these high standards of care, including training in proper cleaning, exhibit maintenance, positive reinforcement training, enrichment, diet preparation, capture and restraint, basic medical care, recordkeeping, and daily monitoring of behavior and heath.
The Lemur Conservation Foundation (LCF) is dedicated to the preservation and conservation of lemurs through managed breeding, non-invasive scientific research, and education. LCF sits on a 130-acre, non-public, reserve in Myakka City, Florida. The reserve is currently home to six species of lemurs in both semi-free ranging habitats and traditional indoor/outdoor habitats. The reserve is remotely located; however a variety of culture and entertainment including state parks, beaches, art museums, zoo, aquariums, botanical gardens and theaters can be found nearby in Sarasota, Bradenton, and Tampa.
• Available to work 40 hours per week for a minimum of 7 months
• Interns should possess a Bachelor’s degree in a Life Sciences or related field from an accredited four-year college or university OR an equivalent degree from a teaching zoo.
• Valid driver’s license and dependable transportation
• Proof of negative TB test within the last 12 months and tetanus vaccination within the last 5 years
• Proof of health insurance coverage for illness or injury
• Available to work weekends and holidays
o Ability to work outside of normal business hours as necessary
• Must be physically able to stoop, bend, reach, climb, lift, carry or push at least 50 pounds in a south Florida climate
• Ability to be an effective team member with minimal supervision
• Ability to follow written and verbal instructions
• Ability to remain calm and think rationally under pressure
• Strong attention to detail
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Experience working with animals is preferred
Interested candidates should email the following documents to email@example.com by March 2nd to be considered:
• Letter of interest including dates of availability and any prior obligations and time-off requests
• Resume or CV with contact information for 3 references
• School transcript (unofficial copies are acceptable)
• Letters of recommendation (optional but encouraged)
Lemur Conservation Foundation
PO Box 249
Myakka City, FL 34251