Overview & Job Duties:
These positions will be located within USDA Service Centers and will provide conservation technical assistance and conservation program delivery to private landowners within their assigned districts and other priority areas as appropriate. In addition to supporting private land conservation technical delivery within their assigned districts, staff will also provide wildlife technical support and planning at the NRCS Area Level as well. The incumbent will work in a joint capacity with USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS), and other State and Federal partners to promote, accelerate enrollment, coordinate and implement the conservation provisions of the Federal Farm Bill and other wildlife related conservation programs. Activities will include program promotion (workshops and one on one meetings), contract coordination, conservation planning, conservation plan modification, site assessment and reporting. Provide technical biological assistance for wildlife habitat enhancement techniques to private landowners and public organizations. Work with local chapters of Quail Forever (QF) and other local partners to increase habitat management efforts and participate in regional and statewide habitat meetings. Assist or coordinate activities and projects with other QF and NRCS staff. This position will be an employee of, and supervised by Pheasants Forever, Inc. & Quail Forever, with daily instruction and leadership provided by NRCS and QF.
Desired Knowledge. Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with landowners and partner agencies.
• Ability to work independently with little supervision and with diverse clientele.
• Knowledge of wildlife ecology, grassland, wetland and early succession habitat management including the ability to utilize various habitat management tools in the development of management plans.
• Knowledge of conservation and wildlife habitat programs provided by federal (i.e. Farm Bill, US Fish and Wildlife Service), state, & local entities. In addition, knowledge of how these programs are implemented in an agricultural landscape is desired.
• Knowledge of or practical experience with agricultural systems and farming.
• Excellent verbal and written communication.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Proficiency with ArcGIS and/or USDA Toolkit or Conservation Desktop.
• Valid driver’s license required; some use of personal vehicle may be required (mileage reimbursement provided).
• Must be able to obtain USDA Federal Security Clearance.
Education and Experience Preferred: A minimum requirement for this position is a Bachelor of Science Degree in Wildlife Management or closely related natural resources field. Proven experience working with USDA Farm Bill programs (CRP, CREP, ACEP, EQIP and CSP) is preferred.
Starting Salary: $32,000 - $35,000 + Health Benefits and Retirement Package
Application Requirements: Combine your cover letter, resume and 3 references into a single Microsoft Word document or Adobe Acrobat PDF file before uploading to our recruitment website at www.pheasantsforever.org/jobs . If you have questions about this position, contact: Marina Osier, Kansas State Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
Pheasants Forever & Quail Forever is an EEO Employer/Vet/Disabled