• Schedule and lead program activities, including academics and biological field research
• Manage all logistics and safety, including driving and maintaining program vehicles
• Collaborate with local partners and senior RRCS staff to conduct research
• Teach undergraduate courses including: Applied Conservation Biology, Biological Field
Methods, Applied Ecology, and Natural History
• Facilitate group discussions
• Encourage students’ understanding of complex conservation issues in the context of the local
Student group size is typically 8-10 students (ranging in ages from 19-23). All instructors will work closely with our Programs Director.
This position can present unique learning experiences, as well as challenges. Because this is a live-in position, leaders must be available and approachable to students at all times, and there is little down time.
Because of the interdisciplinary nature of the student programs, successful applicants must have
well-rounded experience in education, field research, and community conservation and/or outreach.
The following qualifications are required:
• MSc in a natural science or a related field (please do not apply if you do not possess at least a
completed graduate degree)
• At least two years of field experience (international experience preferred)
• Teaching experience at an undergraduate level
• Experience leading field-based student programs or research crews
• Demonstrated ability to design field research studies and/or community projects
• Current Wilderness First Responder and CPR certification
• Prefer previous experience traveling or living in program location
• Spanish proficiency (fluency preferred)
• Proficiency driving a 4WD vehicle with manual transmission
• Ability to think on your feet, plan ahead, and problem solve in the field with limited
resources and support from senior staff
• Great interpersonal skills, high-energy levels, and lots of patience
January-May 2023. Exact dates will be determined upon hiring. Preferred candidates will be able to commit to further employment.
Competitive salary and benefits and travel costs.