Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium-sized consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for a part-time Project Assistant in Albuquerque, NM. Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
The Albuquerque WEST office has an immediate opening for a part-time team member to work primarily with the Middle Rio Grande Endangered Species Collaborative Program (Collaborative Program). The Collaborative Program is made up of federal and state agencies, tribes, and local organizations, and is charged with protecting and improving the status of endangered species along the Middle Rio Grande while simultaneously protecting existing and future regional water uses. WEST provides third-party program and science support services to the Collaborative Program.
The successful candidate will be a motivated, positive individual who works well in a professional team environment handling various administrative and technical writing duties. The ideal candidate will have previous experience in an administrative environment and with taking meeting minutes. Preference will be given to candidates with a background in natural resources including biology, hydrology, or general science.
• Attend and take detailed, type-written minutes at Collaborative Program meetings
• Synthesize meeting minutes into detailed summaries that provide a clear and accurate official record of what occurred, and disseminate meeting minutes to team members for review
• Record, track, and follow-up on meeting action items, contract deliverables, reporting, and other work as needed
• Maintain organized electronic meeting files
• Complete an annual administrative record of meeting materials
• Manage the logistical tasks associated with Collaborative Program meetings
• Coordinate and assist in composing the Collaborative Program’s annual reports
• Provide assistance to prepare various administrative reports and scientific documents including annual reports, spreadsheets, scientific write-ups, and others as needed
• Assist with public outreach events including gathering and producing materials, scheduling, and staffing
• As experience and interest develops, other tasks may include providing assistance with technical editing, various research or study-related tasks, field work, or other tasks as needed
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of all the duties that may be associated with this position.
• High School Diploma or GED required; Bachelor’s degree preferred
• 3 years administrative support experience preferred
• Previous experience taking meeting minutes
• Must be able to interact professionally with diverse personalities
• Strong oral and written communication skills required
• Independent judgment is required to plan, prioritize, and organize a diverse workload
• Demonstrate and provide examples of organizational skills
• Proficient in MS Office such as Word and Excel
• Resume and cover letter will function as an example of ability to produce a document in MS Word as well as follow instructions
Additional Beneficial Qualifications:
• Degree or certificate in a natural resources-related field, to include knowledge/skills in biology, hydrology, or general science
• High level of initiative and ability to think critically to solve challenging problems
• Demonstrated ability to work as a team member
• Adobe InDesign experience
Successful candidates must be able to pass a background check; a pre-employment drug screen; and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required. Candidates must adhere to all health and safety requirements.
WEST is an employee-owned organization with a tradition of professional integrity dedicated to a family atmosphere and a diverse workforce.
• Competitive salary
• Comprehensive Medical (if working 30 or more hours a week)
• SEP/IRA (100% employer contributions, after initial eligibility requirements are met)
• Moderate scheduling flexibility
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.