Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices in 13 states, has an exciting, challenging and immediate opportunity for a full-time Project Manager/Wildlife Biologist in our Bloomington, Indiana office. WEST was founded in 1990 and over the last 26 years has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data. This unique blend of disciplines and our years of experience in both areas allow us to provide original solutions to a wide range of natural resource issues from inventory to permitting to risk assessment to basic research. WEST provides consulting services to government, industry and other organizations.
WEST’s unique combination of statistical and biological expertise allows us to compete for large scale research and monitoring projects. We are seeking candidates who have the interest and desire to obtain and manage large scale research and monitoring projects for the federal government with an emphasis on Department of Defense (DOD), large linear disturbances such as pipelines and transmission lines, and/or renewable energy projects. Ideal candidates will have experience and expertise in wildlife study design, environmental consulting, and experience managing projects for the Department of Defense (DOD), large linear projects such as transmission and pipelines, and/or the renewable energy industry. Our Project Managers work individually, as well as with a team of natural resource specialists, scientists and biometricians to:
• Conduct day to day administration of projects
• Train field technicians
• Setup field studies
• Prepare reports
• Prepare proposals
• Provide quality assurance of data
• Supervise and direct field studies
• Market WEST’s capabilities
• Foster current business relationships and promote new business development efforts
This position will require overnight travel.
The Project Manager / Wildlife Biologist we are seeking has a great opportunity to help WEST take the next step in our growth as a full service environmental consulting firm. The successful candidate must be a self-starter who possesses:
• Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in biological studies, natural resources, wildlife management, wildlife biology or equivalent. A master’s degree in a wildlife-related field, as well as previous professional experience in environmental consulting are desired
• Previous project management experience (preferably 5+ years),including budgeting, and proposal writing experience, consulting work, professional scientific experience, and a track record of maintaining positive relationships with coworkers, clients or stakeholders
• Demonstrated experience managing DOD, large linear, and/or renewable energy projects
• Wildlife biology technical knowledge and knowledge of regional wildlife
• Demonstrated ability to work on biological field studies
• Strong, competent writing skills with the ability to pay close attention to detail and accurately report the scientific methods and results of field studies
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral
• Good time management, project management and organizational skills with the ability to work well under time constraints and meet deliverable targets and deadlines
• Ability to follow instructions from managers and accept guidance and constructive criticism
• Ability to effectively supervise others
Successful candidates must be able to pass a background check; a pre-employment drug screen; and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required. Candidates must adhere to all health and safety requirements. This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of the duties which may be associated with this position.
Join WEST and you will discover a company comprised of dedicated employees, many of which have been part of the WEST family for over a decade. WEST is an employee owned organization with a tradition of professional integrity dedicated to a family atmosphere and a diverse workforce.
• Competitive salary and bonus structure
• Paid vacation, sick leave and holidays
• Comprehensive Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
• SEP IRA (100% employer contributions)
• Life insurance, Long Term Disability and AD&D
• Profit sharing potential
• Excellent administrative support
• Employee owned
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.
To Apply: Click “Apply Now” (or visit the WEST, Inc. Careers Page and select the job in which you are applying for). The application system allows for only one attachment (.doc or .pdf file) so combine the following prior to uploading:
1. Cover letter convincing the hiring manager why they should interview you
2. Resume which includes education, current and prior employment (with dates, address and phone number for each employer)
3. Three professional references (preferably those that have supervised you in the past) with phone numbers and email addresses
*Please note email applications will not be accepted*