Regional Trail Steward Volunteer: Capital Region New York
New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation
Capital Region New York
Last Date to Apply
NYS Parks Volunteer Opportunity!
Title of Position: FORCES Regional Trail Steward
Location: Various State Parks
Time Frame: Spring, Summer & Fall 2022
Time Commitment: TBD
Collaborators: Regional FORCES and Park staff
Deadline to Apply: Rolling
The New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation (OPRHP) in the Capital Region is seeking Trail Steward to assist agency staff in the management of the hiking trail networks throughout our state parks. Stewards will learn and implement sustainable trail practices while protecting the unique character of trail systems.
While working directly with regional NYS Parks Staff, Duties may include:
• Installation of water bars, check steps, and other erosion control structures
• Construction of dimensional lumber and dry-stone trail structures including staircases, and foot bridges.
• Identification and removal of hazardous trail structures, and pruning/brush managing trails
• Improvement of existing trail surfaces
• Assist with Surveying, designing and the construction of new trails/re-routes
In addition, Stewards will gain valuable field experience and learn organizational, leadership and communication skills that they will be able to apply in their personal and professional lives. The Stewards also can network within NYS Parks and get an inside look with working at the state level.
If interested, please reach out to:
Regional Trails Technician
firstname.lastname@example.org | Cell: (518)-917-2777
Natural Resource Department
New York State Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation
Saratoga Capital-District Region
19 Roosevelt Drive, Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
*FORCES is a model aimed to grow volunteerism within New York State Parks by giving students the opportunity to participate in stewardship, conservation, and historic preservation projects.
• Candidates must be comfortable doing manual labor & working outside in a variety of weather conditions.
• Experience using basic hand tools (shovels, picks, hand saws, loppers, etc.) preferred
• Basic carpentry and construction skills preferred but not required
• Candidates must be able to provide their own transportation to and from work sites.