TGRE is seeking an experienced reptile keeper responsible for snake collection(all non-venomous) and other various tegu, monitors and lizards. The primary purpose of this position is the overall care, health, & maintenance of these animals.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
• Proper handling of reptiles and must follow all procedures and protocols (including proper tools and equipment) are used/followed at all times – NO exceptions
• Provide proper training to staff and volunteers regarding animal care and safety protocols, such as PHS policies and procedures, proper use of tools and equipment
• Ensure dietary needs are met and feeding schedules are maintained, records are current
• Timely communicate animal health/husbandry concerns
• Assist in education programs when appropriate, provide input regarding animal training programs, assist onsite events
• Ensure positive experience for visitors and offer knowledge and information when applicable or required
Education: Required: Associate’s Degree in a biological sciences, herpetology, or related field
Preferred: Bachelor’s Degree in a biological sciences, herpetology, or related field
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
• Applicants must be in good physical condition, able to lift 50 pounds, and have the physical and emotional stamina to work full days in temperature controlled areas of 80+ degrees. Also, Texas summer heat/humidity.
• Strong written and oral communication skills – Public speaking is a component of this position
• Proficient in basic word processing, excel, record keeping, and general database management
• Advanced knowledge of reptiles, both native and exotic, and their husbandry requirements
• Excellent communication skills, both verbal and non-verbal
• Ability to make decisions thoughtfully, but quickly when necessary
• Professional personal appearance, the ability to work independently and as a team, and pride of one’s work are key qualifications.
• Ethical and professional behavior and work ethic
• Personable and relatable, to build and maintain positive relationships as well as network
• Leadership skills
• Problem solver
• Attention to details
• 5+ years experience in a zoo/sanctuary environment
• 8+ years experience with snake handling
If chosen for interview, you must give 3 work references associated to this position.
We require a working interview at your expense.
If a job offer is made, a background check and verifiable work history will also be required