The Great Basin Institute, based in Reno, NV, is an interdisciplinary field studies organization that promotes environmental research, education, and conservation throughout the West. The Institute advances ecological literacy, professional development, and natural/cultural/recreation resource management through educational outreach and direct service programs. The Research Associate (RA) Program seeks a Coordinator to support program logistics, operations, and management of RAs in Nevada and other western states. GBI RAs work with federal, state and local land management agencies on a wide variety of field-based projects including wildlife monitoring, invasive plant inventories, recreation use surveys, resource mapping and monitoring, restoration, wilderness monitoring and inventories, cultural resource surveys, travel management inventories, as well as other resource management initiatives. RA Program Coordinators work with GBI staff to recruit, place and manage Research Associates, coordinate project logistics and scheduling, perform payroll and other administrative duties, as well as to ensure compliance with all grant and agency rules and regulations. Promotion of the RA Program and grant/report writing may also be a function of this position, thus, excellent verbal and written communication skills are required.
RA Program Coordinators encounter a variety of opportunities for professional development, including gaining insight to the operational policies and procedures of a mid-sized environmental non-profit organization, exposure to a spectrum of environmental resource management positions and approaches for supporting them, strengthening interactive skills through communication with diverse professional staff, and ability to effectively support the success of a mission-driven enterprise.
• Coordinate recruitment and logistical planning for new and existing RA projects/positions by understanding scopes of work, reviewing applications, conducting interviews, procuring equipment, and supporting orientation/training;
• Communicate regularly with Research Associates and agency partners via phone and written correspondence regarding position status, performance, work satisfaction, and administration;
• Maintain databases for tracking program members, project deliverables and performance measures;
• Gather, manage and process data needed to satisfy quarterly and annual reporting requirements;
• Develop, adapt and apply systems that enhance the success and satisfaction of RAs in the program;
• Collect, review and process GBI administrative forms, including timesheets, expense reports, and time-off requests;
• Collaborate extensively with and assist program staff with program operations, maintenance and expansion;
• Collaborate with and assist other GBI programs as required;
• Follow and enforce policies detailed in GBI Personnel Handbook; and
• Other duties as assigned.
Location: Based at GBI offices in Reno, NV. The “Biggest Little City in the World”, Reno has an estimated population of just over 230,000; the greater Reno-Sparks metropolitan area has a population of just over 435,000. The city sits in a high desert at ca. 4,500 feet in elevation, at the foot of the Sierra Nevada mountains along the Truckee River, as it flows from Lake Tahoe to Pyramid Lake. Weather is mild, but with a distinct four seasons. Reno offers easy access to world-class outdoor recreation, with a 3- to 5-hour drive to Yosemite and Death Valley National Parks, the Pacific Ocean, and California redwood forests. Closer to home, Nevada boasts more natural hot springs than any other state in the country, over 150 named mountain ranges, and 30 mountain peaks over 11,000 feet. In Reno, recreation and entertainment includes eight major ski resorts within 2 hours of the Reno-Tahoe airport; fishing and boating on Lake Tahoe, the Truckee River, and Pyramid Lake; minor league baseball with the Reno Aces (the Triple-A affiliate of the Arizona Diamondbacks); cultural festivals throughout the summer along the banks of the Truckee River; and a small but growing collection of craft microbreweries and micro-distilleries. For more, visit http://www.movoto.com/reno-nv/moving-to-reno/
• Annual appointment starting in November-December 2017; renewable pending performance and funding
• Full time, 40 hours per week; available to occasionally work a varied schedule as needed, including some weekends, evenings and/or holidays
• Rate of Pay: $1,280 biweekly salary
• Paid Health/Dental Coverage
• Paid vacation, sick time, and holidays
• Bachelor’s degree;
• Experience (at least 1 year) with project management, including scheduling, logistics, personnel management, recruitment and retention, and/or training;
• Familiarity and alignment with mission-driven nonprofit organizations strongly preferred;
• Strong interest in and appreciation of natural, cultural and/or recreation resources, land management, and/or environmental policy;
• Ability to learn new database systems and follow procedural documents (e.g., payroll review procedures);
• Attention to detail, and ability to audit extensive data systems;
• Proficiency in the Microsoft Office suite of programs (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Access, Project) to manage, present and track program information;
• Ability to communicate effectively, both written and orally, with a diverse audience;
• Strongly developed organizational skills and ability to self-motivate;
• Willingness and ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic office environment, and to consistently enact high performance standards and a strong work and team ethic in support of the goals and objectives of the RA Program and the mission of GBI;
• Willingness to travel occasionally to conduct site visits at RA service locations in NV and possibly in other western states;
• Valid, state-issued driver’s license and familiarity safely driving 4WD vehicles on pavement and on unimproved roads, preferred; and
• Ability to pass an FBI criminal background and National Sex Offender Public Registry (NSOPR) check.
How to Apply:
Please follow this link to apply directly through our online portal: